Y’all remember when I asked if I should get a rooster?

z3lda3

Songster
Mar 24, 2024
This biddy y’all! I’ve got 4, 6 week old RSLs and 2 bantams, the bantams are 2 weeks old. Gomez (the slightly bigger bantam) has a chicken comb that’s twice the size of Morticias and very red. His disposition is different kind of assertive not mean just..assertive. I was thinking rooster but who knows at this age. Tonight I put my bantams with 2 of my bigger gals, SUPERVISED, just to kind of let them mingle. And Gomez darted after both RSLs, head down, puffed up. The bigger gals was looking at him like he had lobsters coming out of his ears, and just walked off. He kept doing it until I had to put him back in the brooder. No harm to the big gals or anything, just more annoying at this size. For ppl familiar with baby roosters, isn't this a bit young for testosterone to kick in? And if by some chance Gomez is a hen, why would she provoke the bigger gals?

Attachments

• 2823B073-844B-4CC9-AFF1-3D4F5695E8CF.jpeg
    2823B073-844B-4CC9-AFF1-3D4F5695E8CF.jpeg
    629.3 KB · Views: 16
They are a bit young to be showing sexual differences, but sometimes you can see behavioral differences like males being more forward and bold. Not always. Time will tell.

They are a bit young to be showing sexual differences, but sometimes you can see behavioral differences like males being more forward and bold. Not always. Time will tell.
I lied, they’re 3 weeks old not 2 weeks, idk if that matters. It doesn’t matter either way, it’s a blast watching them! Seriously I’ve got some funny chickens.

Update on this?
Well Gomez’s comb and wattles are much bigger and very red. His flock mate..nothing. He’s attempting to crow although it’s odd, like he swallowed egg shells and can’t remember the end. It’s hysterical. And twice he has mounted my legbar (she’s only 5 weeks). If he’s not a rooster I’ll be VERY surprised.

Back
Top Bottom