•Difference in Mottled and Splash Birds in any color? •genetics/phenotype question •

RememberTheWay

Songster
Apr 7, 2022
Okay- I am learning everything I possibly can about genetics and breeding.

I thought that I was understanding things, but now I am seeing photos on the I ternet labeled " _____ (any color, black, blue, lav, etc) mottled" that when I look at the photo would of thought the bird to actually be a splash in whatever color it's in?

Can someone explain to me how to tell the difference in mottled and splash birds? Example- I've come across photos of birds that say they "blue or chocolate mottled" but had they not said that I would have assumed the bird was a chocolate or blue splash, not a mottled. What is the trait that differentiates between these two patterns? I am mainly speaking on cochin bantams and silkies but I've seen this in other breeds as well.

Here is something I just quickly searched for to provide a visual example of what I'm talking about. This bird is labeled Cochin blue mottled- I would of thought it was more a blue splash?

I thought that mottling was only white feather tips followed by a black bar separating the white from the remainder of the bird. The bird shown as an example appears to have entire feathers that are white not just the tips? I think I understand that when a bird also carries the lavender, blue, or chocolate gene that the black barr is going to also be changed from black to whatever color they carry? Will it then just match the rest of bird, essentially erasing that black barr visually?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240503-150815.png
    Screenshot_20240503-150815.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
Here is something I just quickly searched for to provide a visual example of what I'm talking about. This bird is labeled Cochin blue mottled- I would of thought it was more a blue splash?
Blue mottled, just uneven.

Here's my blue mottled hen. She's a darker shade of blue, then the hen you have pictured.
20240207_124731.jpg

So how then do you visually look at a bird and know whether it is splash or mottled?
Splash is usually a more Extended offwhite, or light blue color with blue, or blue, & black Splashes.
Blue/Splash is a dominant gene, that dilutes black to blue, or Splash if there's 2 copies.
Screenshot_20240503-164642_Chrome.jpg
Mottling is a recessive gene, & results in primarily white tips on feathers.

I thought that mottling was only white feather tips followed by a black bar separating the white from the remainder of the bird. The bird shown as an example appears to have entire feathers that are white not just the tips?
The white "tips" on the feathers can be various sizes, and seem to get larger each time the bird molts (but not at the same rate for all chickens, so some birds will look almost completely white at a certain age, while some others will have tidy little white dots at the same age.)

I think I understand that when a bird also carries the lavender, blue, or chocolate gene that the black barr is going to also be changed from black to whatever color they carry? Will it then just match the rest of bird, essentially erasing that black barr visually?
Yes and yes.

Back
Top Bottom