18 Weeks old chickens... what breed are we?

Lizz9311

Songster
7 Years
Apr 3, 2012
Central Massachusetts
I have three chickens that I'm trying to find out the breed for. The two all black birds (on the left in the first photo) I suspect are Toramu or Long Crowers. The white girl beside them is the third one I'm trying to figure out, but have no guesses for her.

The white girl:

Close up of suspected Toramu hen:

Hello! White girl with suspected Toramu rooster in the background:

Another image of the suspected Toramu rooster:

I just picked these guys up yesterday along with 2 RIR hens and 3 Barred Rock hens. They are still in quarantine until I'm sure they're disease free before introducing them into the pen with my RIR roo and five laying hens (light Brahmas and New Hampshire).

Toramu? I never heard of that.
The black one looks like an Australorp to me. But I have never had one so I might be wrong.
That's what I thought, too. Australorps do come in a bantam variety, which these two are definitely bantams. But according to be research Australorps don't have a black face and if you look at the hen she has a black face. The rooster and hen match except for the gender, so I know they are the same breed... just unsure which breed.

And I misspelled the breed I think they are: Tomaru! (This is what I get for writing a post half-asleep. Basically, it's a small black bird that has a long crow that sounds like a creaking door. That definitely describes this little roo's crow. I've named him Squeak because it's such a squeaky crow! LOL

The white one is a silkie mix. The black ones I'm not sure about, but they look like two different breeds because their combs are completely different.
Silkie mix, K. I thought Silkie at first, but when I compared her to pictures of other Silkies she didn't look right. Perhaps that's because of the "mix" part.
big_smile.png

The images don't show it well, but the combs actually look identical to me. I'll have to take another look, but I'm fairly certain they are the same breed. I just don't know what breed. LOL

Thanks! I love learning more about breeds and standards. It's kind of my thing. I will do some research on both of those points. Thanks!

Yeah, High percentage Silkie mix on the white one seems accurate. Possibly a Silkie Cross was bred back to a Silkie to give that chick, because she seems to have the barbless Silkied feathers and that trait is recessive [both birds need to either show or carry the trait for it to show]

The white hen is a silkie mix. Since she's a mix, it's much more logical to assume the other birds are also mixes, rather than an exotic breed. We'd need better pics of the two black birds, but they're not the same, according to the different combs, and the hen appears to have white earlobes while the cockerel has red. His wavy comb also indicates mixed breeding somewhere along the line.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom