3rd Loss... Time to take action.

Blueicebird

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 12, 2011
Watkins Glen
Lost my Momma Tetra Tint who was laying on some eggs.

She was in a box in the pen of the coop, small hole and a heavy lid. The Box was in the small pen which is 8 ft high with a heavy 5 ft wooden gate. That is surrounded by a 4 ft wire large pen.

All I found were feathers and broken shells.

So angry, she was a good broody momma. Never bit me when I played with her eggs and touched her. It destroyed all my americauna eggs... No one else was touched.

I lost my only female Khaki Campbell Duck to this thing too along with one of her teenagers in the middle of the day (But I ruled that one out to a neighbors dog).

Anyone have any suggestions? I am thinking Racoon or Fox.

I am currently in the proccess of making a new coop, a more secure coop.

I plan on putting some motion lights up, maybe trying the Christmas tree light thing.

So sad... :(

I just hate to hear this. So much wasted life and potential. Broody hens, eggs and chicks are so vulnerable. It could be either the fox or raccoon. I use electric fence. I have a perimeter fence and then 3 strands on the pens. It works well and is not expensive. It is also easy to relocate as needed. Climbers make short work of pens and gates unless you have a wire covered pen or electric wire on them.

Hmm, probably not the best Idea since I have a 3 yr old who likes to come up to the fences and meanders in the pen with me. Unless I just turn it off at night.

I'm going to hang up some christmas lights hopefully in the next few days. HOpefully that will work till I get my new coop built.

Back
Top Bottom