Abundance of eggs & selling them

Selling "hatching eggs", because they aren't intended for the human food supply, is generally less costly and less onerous in terms of paperwork/licensing/etc though still similar in zoning requirements.
Right. Just trying to think of some loopholes that can be used, and I'm not familiar with the zoning laws in Wisconsin or its counties.

Everything is more strict at a restaurant of any kind. Any food establishment that uses washable dishes has to have three sinks. One to wash, one to rinse, one for a bleach rinse. You don't need three sinks if you have a dishwasher. If you have to wash your eggs before selling them, you will need the wash, rinse, bleach set up. I don't think you would need the big sinks, you might get away with one large kitchen sink that is separated into three.

Home Depot's cheapest stainless steel triple bowl sink is $250.
Yes. Thanks. They do spell it out like that. We have an egg washer which we could still use. But we also would need all the sinks, the walls, enclosed room with washable walls, the lighting, and procedures that are outlined. Plus the inspection approvals, the licenses, and other approved processing. And of course refrigeration and all that. We have the refrigerator, hand washing sink and all just not the room, walls, and all the approvals. Realistically it would cost us about $1,000 to do all of that.

Selling "hatching eggs", because they aren't intended for the human food supply, is generally less costly and less onerous in terms of paperwork/licensing/etc though still similar in zoning/permitting requirements.
Currently we don’t have any roosters

Probably years. Not making money on the eggs currently and I really can’t raise the prices as already we are the same or more expensive than the competitors in our area 😖

I have been through the process here and I imagine the procedures will be similar there, as they are all motivated by the need to protect public health. Eggs and chickens are notorious causes of e.g. salmonella, e coli and campylobacter infections, which can be very serious for some consumers. So the rules are put in place to ensure that people selling eggs to strangers (i.e. on a larger than backyard scale) or to restaurants who will be serving their eggs to yet other random people, know what good hygiene practices are and implement them consistently.

The requirements often seem, at first sight, a lot more complicated than they actually are when you get down to reading carefully what you need to do to meet them and pass the inspections. Here I had to get to grips with the concept of Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points and show I had performed the analysis and had a plan for failure at any of the identified critical control points. In the case of selling eggs, they are just very fancy words for working out where and how exactly an egg could be infected with any of the bugs of concern, and what I do about any egg I think might be so infected (the answer to most such questions is, if in doubt, remove it from the human food chain).

It's only the first time the paperwork is burdensome, when it's all new to you and you have little idea what you're doing; thereafter it's simple, like riding a bike. However, it may not be economic to do what's required there to sell to strangers and restaurants, and it may be easier to scale down your production again to below the threshold. Alternatively you may need to factor in a price rise for your eggs to cover outlay on facilities improvements (aiming to get it back over a few years) for example, but then you risk losing the customers you're aiming for. Hope this helps.
Yes. Helpful and understand what you are saying. I remove all or any questionable as I look at each egg before boxing them for sure. Safety is always most important

Usually, selling from "your doorstep" is easiest. Next, would be selling at farmers market (requires some more oversight). Highest level of restrictions is usually selling to a grocery store or to a restaurant.

Have you verified the level of requirements for just selling "from your doorstep"?
Yes. And you are correct

Back
Top Bottom