Advice needed-Duckling With Raw Spot On Wing *picture*

wildpeas

Songster
7 Years
Mar 18, 2012
Port Orchard, Wa
Poor little Ping has a raw looking spot on her wing. She keeps worrying it when she preens herself. I dont see any critters moving around on her but that doesn't mean they aren't there. Is there anything I can put on the spot? Should I treat for parasites? I dont want it to get worse or the other ducklings to start picking at her.
Please help.

Last edited:
She is almost 2 weeks old. I noticed another balding spot on her back this morning. I still dont see any signs of things moving on her skin. It seems too early for the new feathers...maybe she is an overachiever?
smile.png

I'm not familiar with ducklings (yes) but it appears that she's about to get some juvenile feathers on those spots. That's what chicks look like when they are about to grow in feathers. From what I've read, the incidence of external parasites on ducks is much, much less than it occurs on chickens. So, I doubt that's your issue.

I am not expert but I want to say that is normal. I was really worried about mine because under their wings they have hardly any hair and there are little patches of no hair, but I think it is just feathers coming in. Now when we let them bathe they look horrible when they get out because they have weird skin now with feathers poking through, mine are about 2 weeks old....does she have her oil gland?

Yes, they all have their oil glands. Its so cute when they try to act like adult ducks and groom themselves. There is a lot of tipping over.
smile.png

I guess I wont worry about it too much unless there is a change for the worse.
Thanks guys.

Back
Top Bottom