Anyone crossed an Australorp with an Ancona?

Thanks for replying. So the original offspring wouldn't be mottled but it their offspring would be mottled correct?
Correct. Mottling is a recessive, so it requires 2 genes (1 from each parent) to show. Sometimes chicks that are split to mottling (have 1 mottled and 1 non-mottled gene) will have a few white spots in their juvenile plumage that molt out when they get their adult plumage. You could cross the offspring (F1) from the original cross together and get 25% Mottled, 50% Split to Mottled, and 25% Non-Mottled. Crossing one of the F1 birds back over the Mottled parent would yield 50% Mottled and 50% Split to Mottled.

Are you starting a Mottled Australorp project? If so, I would recommend using a Mottled Orpington instead of the Ancona. Orpingtons and Australorps are very closely related and have similar type. It would be a bit less work to prefect the shape of a Mottled Australorp if you used the Orp.

Correct. Mottling is a recessive, so it requires 2 genes (1 from each parent) to show. Sometimes chicks that are split to mottling (have 1 mottled and 1 non-mottled gene) will have a few white spots in their juvenile plumage that molt out when they get their adult plumage. You could cross the offspring (F1) from the original cross together and get 25% Mottled, 50% Split to Mottled, and 25% Non-Mottled. Crossing one of the F1 birds back over the Mottled parent would yield 50% Mottled and 50% Split to Mottled.

Are you starting a Mottled Australorp project? If so, I would recommend using a Mottled Orpington instead of the Ancona. Orpingtons and Australorps are very closely related and have similar type. It would be a bit less work to prefect the shape of a Mottled Australorp if you used the Orp.

No i was not going to do a project but i just have one Ancona in with all my Aussies so just wondering! Mottled Australorp would be pretty cool though! Thanks so much

Just wondering if anyone has ever crossed an Australorp with an Ancona? Some pics would be great if anyone has any? Thanks
I know this is multiple years later, but I have a chick that’s across from a blue Astro of male and a female Ancona… the chick on the right
IMG_4168.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom