Bactroban for bumblefoot?

luvmybirdz

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 11, 2011
I'm prepping to deal w/my first case of bumblefoot on one of my roosters. It's on both his middle toes (the sides) and seems bad. I've looked over other threads and seen various things ppl will use to pack the hole w/when it's cleaned up. Neosporin just doesn't seem like it'd be enough, considering it's staph. I have some bactroban on hand and wondered if it was safe to use on the birds. If not, that's fine. I need to gather supplies and wanted to know before heading out if there was something else I'd have to get. Thanks so much!

I don't know why it would not be safe. Bactroban will kill gram positive bacteria, so it will work on the staph. I just treated one of my hens for bumblefoot and used mupirocin and polysporin. The articles I read here said to get terramycin, but I was not able to find it anywhere within 100 miles, so I had to find an alternative. I had the mupirocin on hand so used that instead. It has worked very well and it looks to be clearing up nicely.

I saw the postings about Terramycin too, but wasn't sure where/how to get it. I have the Bactroban due to a MRSA infection my daughter got, so I know it works on staph. Just wasn't sure of the saftey on chickens. I couldn't find anything online about it so I thought I'd ask here. I want to be well prepared when I go to deal with this. I feel so bad I didn't catch what it was for so long! Gotta get this done ASAP. Thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom