Bantam breeds of geese or ducks???

Sunny Side Up

Count your many blessings...
11 Years
Mar 12, 2008
Loxahatchee, Florida
The kids & I were wondering about this so I said "let's post the question on BYC, someone there might know!"

Are there, or is there anyone working to develop, bantam breeds of geese or ducks? I know there are the call ducks that are a small breed, and many species of wild ducks that are small. And folks typically want their geese big for the table, or to work in the fields. I couldn't think of any kinds of small geese, or other kinds of little domestic ducks.

But now that so many people are keeping poultry for pleasure, we wondered if there would be a market for miniature geese & ducks, and if there were breeders working to develop them.

Call ducks are the smallest and there are Black East Indies and Silky Ducks. Type Bantam Ducks in the search box or Google. Geese, I do not think there are Bantam Geese.

there are already a TON of bantam ducks, geese,though, not so sure. Bantam Ducks/ geese have already been developed, about 20-500 yrs ago, depending on the breed.

Bantam Ducks:***

call ducks
mallards
eastindies
miniture silver appleyard
mandrin duck
miniture crested
astralian spotted
wood duck
silver bantam
silky duck
smew
Goosander(common Merganser)

Geese** Not many

Pigmy goose
cackling goose
sebastol(maybe)
the problem with bantam waterfowl is they are usually flighty and arresive but not always. they are usualy the loudest ( call duck for example, they dont get their name for nothing) types of ducks. ive had most of these breeds, so trust me, there real. google them too
good to help
smile.png

I use to breed Shetland Geese.....they are very small. The males are white and the females are grey saddle-backed......sexing them at birth is easy....

Back
Top Bottom