Behavior different for male/female chicks?

Backyard Hencam

Crowing
12 Years
Apr 27, 2009
California Central Coast
One of my chicks has been aggressive from the beginning (now, sadly, is isolated in a separate brooder). She is five weeks old now. Shows no physical signs of gender distinction. Has anyone seen rooster behavior at a young age? I've found someone who will take her but not if she is roo?
hu.gif

Out of my original 27 chicks, the most aggressive chick (from day one) was a little pullet. My cockerel was the most gentle out of the bunch. He used to fall asleep in my lap and I always joked that he was a lover, not a fighter. Eventually, the little aggressive pullet calmed down and made a sweet hen, and the rooster has turned out to be a fierce protector of the girls.

It's 50/50 I'd say. You just never know......

Penny

when we bought our first batch of chicks from TSC, we noticed right off the bat that one would aggrevate all the others and peck at them. and it was one of the smaller ones too. well turns out we followed it as best we could, and it is pretty obvious that it's a roo. but just remember there is a pecking order and it may just be starting early in letting everyone know that he/she is boss

Thanks all.

I am so frustrated having to maintain two brooders because one chick out of six is so aggressive; keeping others from eating and drinking, etc. Perhaps in a week or two it will be obvious whether this is a rooster or hen. Even if she is a hen, I won't keep her unless she has a major attitude adjustment.

I appreciate all your advise.
bow.gif

My little roo has been loud and annoying from day 1 but he never hurt or picked on any one except for extra sparring with the other roo

My most aggressive one food-wise is a pullet. She has a thing for trying to take food out of the other's beaks, and they let her! She only cares about treats though, there's never been any fights about plain chick starter
tongue.png

My little Roo was very docile. I couldn't tell he was a he until he started developing his feathers and wattles and comb. I only had a couple of hens show aggression when I first put the pullets in with the hens then I had a hen that was pretty aggressive. She is ok now. She got an attitude adjustment with the hose every time I saw her jump on a pullets and really go after it. I was afraid she might kill one.

I was about to post a similar question - my aggressive one is a 4 week old buff orpington...only she's just aggressive toward me! She will get between the other chicks in the brooder and me, and peck at my hand when I reach for one. I can pick her up and hold her just fine, and she is calm in my hand, but I have to be fast before I get a hold of her, or I'm gonna get pecked, and not just once!
roll.png
I'm pretty sure she's a she - round feathers coming in, and her comb isn't any more developed than anyone else's, maybe even a little smaller than my BR...

Look at it's feathers. It is just the right age to tell! If the back is feathered in, it is most likely a pullet. If there is only sparse feathering on the back and "naked" wing bows - then it is a roo. Also, the roo's comb starts getting a bit of pinkish orange in it at this age.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom