Best Plants for Chickens to Forage On

ravenvalor

Songster
11 Years
Aug 1, 2008
Hello,

Can someone recommend a spring crop that my chickens here in North Carolina can forage on? I would like to grow a 50' X 50' garden and then move the coop and run over the garden in the spring when the crop is ready. Thanks for the great help.

Jim

I think I am going to try to find a prepackaged variety of legumes (clover, vetch, lespedeza, etc.).

Purslane (Portulaca oleracea) is rich in omega 3 and chicken friendly too from what I've gathered from BYC.

Purslane is good, but not enough mass. The blends are annual. The best forage is alfalfa, high in bio-mass and because it lasts 5 years. If you really want the most bio-mass, plant a fava cover crop in the Fall, for spring consumption. At 5 ft tall, a little scything may be needed.

Last edited:
Purslane is good, but not enough mass. The blends are annual. The best forage is alfalfa, high in bio-mass and because it lasts 5 years. If you really want the most bio-mass, plant a fava cover crop in the Fall, for spring consumption. At 5 ft tall, a little scything may be needed.

Thank you so much for the good advice. Will you please recommend something that I can plant now here in Central NC? I have already turned over some of the dirt in the 50 x 50 run. The chickens are in the run helping me get it ready for seed planting. They have been enjoying the worms that I have been uncovering. Of course I will move the run before planting the seed.
Thanks again,

Great thread. Just last night I was googling this topic and the best plants suggested were white clover and rye grass. Getting a packaged mix seems like a good option. The run is only 40' x 40' and always has some wild grass but I would like to add a bit more nutrition if I can.

Back
Top Bottom