Black copper Maran… Pretty sure it’s a roo. Please prove me wrong.

LandersLand

Hatching
Jul 20, 2023
Purchased as a pullet. But crazy large feet and legs I think she may be a he. 🫤

Attachments

• IMG_9750.jpeg
    IMG_9750.jpeg
    836.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_9751.jpeg
    IMG_9751.jpeg
    825.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_9749.jpeg
    IMG_9749.jpeg
    698.7 KB · Views: 23
I think around 8-12 weeks. Sorry. I know that’s a big gap. Her/his legs are also far apart and he’s more aggressive than others.
Not looking good for my hoa. Lol

Attachments

• IMG_9736.png
    IMG_9736.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 20
At 8-12 weeks that's a pullet. No wattle growth, pale smallish comb.

Also, it's not a black copper maran. Not sure what she is exactly, but consider cuckoo maran or black sex-link? Backyard mix? She has faint white lacing, which just doesn't happen for BCM. Any leakage for BCM would be copper colored, and they don't have lacing. Sometimes BCM hens have copper on their necks as adults. Could be a badly bred cuckoo maran female.

Marans tend to have larger combs than some other breeds, and females can pink up early with visible wattles. So it can be hard to tell on them, but in this case, I can't even see the wattles. In another month you should see comb growth and significant redness, if not, pullet for sure.

Ooh that’s a tough one. That comb is tiny and pale, but the feet are absolutely gigantic. I’m going to go with pullet, as the comb is a larger deciding factor than the leg size. Also, as others have pointed out, that’s not a black copper Maran. Also probably not a black sex-link, because of the feathered feet. She could be a cuckoo Maran with faint barring 🤔

Back
Top Bottom