Blue layers Ameraucana vs Cream legbar

Jan 12, 2021
Exactly what the title says haha. Looking to see if anyone has had experience with both of these. Wanting to add a blue egg layer to my flock but want to get the most eggs per year that I can as well. Thanks in advance :) I also have the same question about white vs black copper Marans that I posted on one of the maran threads

I have no experience with Cream Legbars.

Ameraucanas are my all time favorite breed.

Both Lay blue eggs, so I assume you are talking about Personality.

My Ameraucanas were the sweetest things in the world. They loved to cuddle and jump on my lap to be pet.

I also just love the colors of Ameraucanas. Blue Wheaten being my favorite.

I am also obsessed with muffs/beards so they have that going for them.

However, if you want another option for colored eggs and you don’t care about getting a purebred, another option that is much easier to find is Easter Eggers. They are at practically every feed store and hatchery. They are often sold under the name “Ameraucana” “Ameracauna” or “Americana” but they aren’t Ameraucanas.

100% recommend Ameraucanas. They are adorable, beautiful, friendly, and lay gorgeous eggs.

Depends on what you are looking for. Ameraucanas' egg color can vary quite a bit, but so can CCL. Ameraucanas come in different colors if you are partial to that, CCL are pretty much all the same in appearance, though their crests make them pretty cute. CCL are known to be great free rangers and not "tolerate confinement well", Ameraucanas are known to tolerate this better, but again this can vary from individual bird to individual bird. Good luck in your choice. 😊

Legbars will definitely lay more than Ameraucanas (not easter eggers). My current legbar girl lays about 6~7 eggs per week. She is one year old. The breeding group she coming from is still laying like crazy with hens over 4 year old. A pure Ameraucana usually is not a very good layer, but they are so beautiful! If you get some blue egg laying easter eggers, they could be very good layer. Legbars tend to be skittish when they are young, but will calm down when they start to lay. My legbar girls all love to perch on my arm. Ameraucanas seem always sweet and calm. Most friendly bird I ever had. Unfortunately, we lost her to Marek.

Hi! I have both and while I LOVE my Ameraucana (Ari 🥰) her flock mate, Josie the Cream Legbar, is a much more productive hen. I have Jill Reese Cream Legbars that are just three weeks old now and am looking forward to their eggs in a few months, too. I’m sure I will have more Ameraucana in my future (because Ari has been such a dear) but the Cream Legbars are a wonderful breed.

Hi! I have both and while I LOVE my Americana (Ari 🥰) her flock mate, Josie the Cream Legbar, is a much more productive hen. I have Jill Reese Cream Legbars that are just three weeks old now and am looking forward to their eggs in a few months, too. I’m sure I will have more Americanas in my future (because Ari has been such a dear) but the Cream Legbars are a wonderful breed.
Reese line legbars are fantastic layers! And they are beautiful! Yes, my black Ameraucana girl, Candy, loved to cuddle! She just couldn't get enough attention!

Hi! I have both and while I LOVE my Americana (Ari 🥰) her flock mate, Josie the Cream Legbar, is a much more productive hen. I have Jill Reese Cream Legbars that are just three weeks old now and am looking forward to their eggs in a few months, too. I’m sure I will have more Americana in my future (because Ari has been such a dear) but the Cream Legbars are a wonderful breed.
Yep, EEs are awesome. Plan on breeding a few of my own once I get some more Ameraucanas. Just the fact that they can come in every shape, size, and color is amazing. :love

Back
Top Bottom