Breeding Blue Jersey Giants To Each Other

Tamdog

Songster
Apr 23, 2020
1589395133878.png

I purchased two ( supposedly female ) baby Blue Jersey Giants on March 11th. The DARK one turned out to be a male and I am wondering if he is really a Blue Jersey Giant since he looks so different from the female. Here are my questions 1) Does any one know if I breed them what they will look like? 2) Does this male really look like a BLUE
3) Are they hard to sex once they hatch? I have never done this before and of course - would want to keep the female hens. - and do not want to wait three months like I did this time to see which ones are male . Is it really hard to get rid of roosters if I end up with a bunch.

1) Blue X Blue= 50% Blue / 25% Black / 25% Splash

2) I recently got Jersey Giants but mine are only 2 weeks so I don’t know if that is blue but it looks it

3) You can try wing sexing but I don’t know how accurate that is. There is no other way of knowing to my knowledge.

I would either euthanize by decapitation or wait til they’re old enough to eat. But sadly there’s so many roosters in need of a home that it may be harder to rehome.

Yup, both the same breed. Both blue. You'll get Blue, Black and Splash chicks. If you want 100% Blue, breed Black to Splash.

You can try to learn to vent sex if you don't want to wait and see. Everything else is pretty much just voodoo.

Yup, both the same breed. Both blue. You'll get Blue, Black and Splash chicks. If you want 100% Blue, breed Black to Splash.

You can try to learn to vent sex if you don't want to wait and see. Everything else is pretty much just voodoo.
I keep hearing about splash. What exactly is that?

I usually re-sell my roosters on Craigslist, but they may be a little harder to re-home right now since so many people bought chicks during COVID. You could try calling your local feed stores and asking them if they take extra roosters. A few in my area do, and one even pays me $5 for each one I bring in. They re-sell them for a little more than that.

I'm not sure what you tried to link to, but that took me to a video about a robot.
[/QUO
I usually re-sell my roosters on Craigslist, but they may be a little harder to re-home right now since so many people bought chicks during COVID. You could try calling your local feed stores and asking them if they take extra roosters. A few in my area do, and one even pays me $5 for each one I bring in. They re-sell them for a little more than that.
Thanks! It seems like there has been quite an interest in Jersey Giants in my area. I am hoping to re-home the extras. I will probably regret this vendor.

Back
Top Bottom