Broody Mama Hen hatched chicks this morning but still sitting on additional eggs

OliviaKenobi

Hatching
May 3, 2024
Hi,

I decided to let my broody hen hatch her chicks and 5 hatched this morning in the nesting box while shes still laying on a few more to hatch! I currently have 7 other fully grown hens and 1 rooster that do not free range. We have a coop that they go into at night and a run they go out in the morning. I would prefer to let the momma hen raise the chicks but worry the rooster and other hens may hurt the babies.

I have a large dog crate (chicken wire is attached to the dog crate) I can put in the corner of the coop with water and food for the momma and chicks but worry will they try to leave and go into the run and be attacked by the rooster? And, what is the right age to rehome the chicks? I can attach pictures of my setup if needed.

Your hen will generally remain on the nest for 2-3 days after the first one hatches before moving off.

Make sure they are secured in the pen. I personally keep mine penned for 1-2 weeks before letting them out under supervision to see how it goes. I pen them back up at night for a bit. Sometimes other hens may try to fight with the broody or kill the chicks.

They can leave whenever you want them to leave.

@oldhenlikesdogs thank you for the guidance! Do you let them out to free range? My chickens currently only go into the run.

would the chicks be okay to go out into the run with the mama hen after 2 weeks?
Mine can range during the day, but they also have a run. Chicks go out into the run, and eventually go outside of it, but it can take a month or two. Just make sure your hen watches out for them.

everyone has their own preference but it will depend on your broody. I let mine stay right with the flock the whole time. My broody's will attack anyone that comes close to her babies. I have 1 roo that is good with the babies (he was better before the 2nd roo came into the picture) and basically ignores them. My other roo will also protect the babies and call them for food and drop it down for them etc. The rest of my hens learn to stay away from mom and babies really quick.

Back
Top Bottom