Buying my first pigeons. What age should they be?

Tedster0219

In the Brooder
Aug 4, 2020
I am going to start looking for pigeons for my almost completed loft (It should be done by the end of this week). I have been looking and have found a few people with pigeons. I wanted to know what age I should ask for when I get my pigeons? What is the earliest that I can get them without having to feed them something special?

Pigeons typically are independent starting at about 28-35 days. I would recommend getting some that are slightly older, as they will be a little bit more 'solid' of a bird, if that makes sense.

Pigeons typically are independent starting at about 28-35 days. I would recommend getting some that are slightly older, as they will be a little bit more 'solid' of a bird, if that makes sense.
Okay that does make sense. Can they fly at this age? If they can't can I take my birds out in my backyard and start training them to come to me?

Okay that does make sense. Can they fly at this age? If they can't can I take my birds out in my backyard and start training them to come to me?
They will be flying pretty well at this age, depending on the breed. I trained one to do this! It is very fun. I started at day ten, so i would get them, allow them to breed, and train their baby then.

They will be flying pretty well at this age, depending on the breed. I trained one to do this! It is very fun. I started at day ten, so i would get them, allow them to breed, and train their baby then.
When you started at day 10 did the pigeons parents still take care of it when you were done training or did you take on that responsibility?

I am going to start looking for pigeons for my almost completed loft (It should be done by the end of this week). I have been looking and have found a few people with pigeons. I wanted to know what age I should ask for when I get my pigeons? What is the earliest that I can get them without having to feed them something special?
If I were you I would ask for un flown young birds. If they have been flying around their home loft it will be hard to settle them to your loft. Good luck!
The above applies to homing pigeons, not so much to other breeds.

If I were you I would ask for un flown young birds. If they have been flying around their home loft it will be hard to settle them to your loft. Good luck!
The above applies to homing pigeons, not so much to other breeds.
That makes sense. I have two people in my town that I believe are flying pigeons. If I get in contact with them I will make sure to ask if they have any un flown pigeons. Thank you for the reply!

Back
Top Bottom