Can 8 Week Old Puppies Eat TOTW??

redhen

Kiss My Grits...
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
May 19, 2008
Western MA
Shes a Golden x Standard poodle mix.. (getting her tomorrow)
I've heard that TOTW is fine to feed puppys because its a nutritionally complete food. Buuuut...i've never fed it to a pup before, so i'm un-sure...
The breeder is feeding them Kirkland puppy food... I dont have a costco card, so i cant get kirkland food..
Should i feed her just normal purina puppy chow? OR..is she considered a LG breed dog?( Are Goldens considered large breed by vets?) Should i feed her Purina One large breed puppy food? OR..should i just feed her the TOTW... that i feed my adult girl? I feed my adult girl the, High prairie and Pacific Salmon one mixed together..
Sorry so many questions...
hide.gif

Another question.. i'm also feeding my adult canned TOTW...mixed in her dry TOTW... can i do that with the pup? Or will i make her sick?

Last edited:
Golden is a large breed, best to feed a complete diet designed for large breed puppies. They are lower in nutrition than standard puppy chow- you do not want them to grow too fast and predispose them to dysplasia. TOTW is a high protein diet, low carb I think. I would not personally feed it to a young large breed dog. Unless they make a large breed puppy chow.

Quote:
I'm feeding my adult female saint TOTW now..wonder if its to high protein for her? Is high protein okay for large breed ADULT dogs?

Also..i did feed my male saint (now passed on).. Purina One large brred puppy food... and he STILL grew all messed up.... his back legs grew higher than his front and he had a hunched back and hip problems VERY young...
So.. i dont know what to do here!
barnie.gif

Maybe just regular purina puppy chow?
THanks for the help!!

Last edited:
Please don't feed her Purina, it is definitely not a good food to raise a dog on. I feed my lab mix and chihauhau mix TOTW with great results. However, I would recommend a lower protein food for puppies. Maybe one that is not grain free, but still high quality. What about 4health puppy food from TSC? I fed my dogs the adult food for a while with good results. I think the ingredients are similar to Kirkland. Wellness puppy food is probably one of the best, though it does have a higher price. Here is a link to a great website with plenty of dog food reviews. This should help you make a good choice, although they do not list all of the brands.
smile.png

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/

Good
luck, I hope I helped.
smile.png

Last edited:
Yes you can feed your new pup TOTW. It is a higher quality food the both Purina One and Puppy Chow, so your better off actually feeding TOTW to a pup instead of puppy or even large breed Puppy in these brands. You also can go with Diamond Brands Chicken and Rice Formula (26% protien). It is the closest one to Kirklands dog/puppy food. I would ask the breeder for some food to help make the switch. The responsible breeders I knew all made sure that the puppies they sold went home with a bag of the food they fed to the puppies. Then switch her over to TOTW. I would hold off on the canned at this point until she is completely acclimated to the new food and the food is a fit for her and only as small sized ball of goodness. If TOTW is not a fit for her, then you may need to go back to Kirkland or the Diamond Naturals. I would feed her the Pacific Salmon at 25% Protein. For a large breed puppy, the High Prarie at 32% protein is way to high.
As far as Dog Food Analysis goes, it is a very interesting, but I take it with a grain of salt.

Quote:
LOL..Gahh! Now i'm confused again!
gig.gif

And yes, the breeder is giving me a baggie of the kirkland food..so i can switch her over.... so thats a good thing.
Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
If it is suitable for pupppies, it will say 'all life stages' on the bag.
I feed every dog I own Purina Pro Plan prefomance from weaning till death. And they all live long (15 year old heathy active gs on couch now) heathy vet free lives.

From the Taste of the Wild website:

CAN I FEED THIS FOOD TO MY LARGE BREED PUPPY?
Yes. All of the Taste of the Wild formulas meet the nutritional needs for growing puppies. Large breed puppies should be fed a little differently than small or medium breed puppies in order to control their growth rate. Overfeeding calories can lead to rapid growth, which puts stress on the developing bones and joints. It is important to keep your large breed puppy in lean body condition - ask your vet how to determine whether your puppy is lean or too heavy. You may have to adjust the feeding amount up or down from what is indicated on the package, the package just provides an estimate of the amount to feed and every puppy is a bit different.

CAN I FEED ANY OF THESE FOODS TO MY PUPPY OR KITTEN?
Yes! All three canine formulas and the feline formula are formulated to meet the needs for all life stages. This means they can be fed to growing puppies or kittens, pregnant or nursing dogs or cats and adult pets. Follow the recommended feeding guidelines on the package and adjust up or down as needed to maintain your pet in an ideal, lean body condition.

Last edited:
Well, I knew you could feed it to her, but I don't know if it is the best idea. I raised my kitten on TOTW all life stages food. I would still be worried about the higher protein for a large breed dog. I have read that it can cause issues. However, I can't really predict what will happen, so you can choose what you think is best.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom