Can a chicken die from loneliness?

Tomomi M

In the Brooder
7 Years

photo was taken on 9/2/2012

They were all over 2 years old when we acquired them in 2012. First, Honey died suddenly in Feb 2013. Since we had 3 hens until 2 weeks ago - Hector died and just 1 week later, Dusty died. Now we only have Pepper. I was told Pepper was the oldest of 4, so I am assuming she is well over 5 years old.

Hector and Dusty were always together and they had some health problems, but Pepper has never been ill.

We have 8 other hens who are just 1 year old - we raised them from day-old chicks. We couldn't put these 2 flocks together before because Hector was very mean to them. Now that Hector is gone and Pepper is left alone, we want to merge the together.

Pepper pecks at them when they come close to her food, so young hens stay away from her. We have a huge coop just for Pepper, 8 hens share 2 other smaller coops. Pepper spends her days mostly alone and she is all by herself in a big coop. I am worried if a hen could die from broken heart/loneliness?

You will have to merge flocks. Put Pepper in with the little ones at night. Give them some time. They'll come around. At one time Predators took out all but one in my flock. She very quickly started having problems being alone. At times I'd find her just standing in a daze. It's hard to explain her condition but I could tell she was very stressed and confused by not having anyone else.

That's sad!
sad.png

It's never been proven that chickens can die of loneliness or heartbreak, but I think they can. I had a Cornish Cross cock and hen about a year old (I didn't know they were broilers). First, the hen died, then the cock died only a week later. He was depressed before. I recommend getting more chickens, they go along to the saying "the more the merrier".
smile.png

Good luck!

Thank you Torch404 and Blackberry18 for your advice. Let me explain our coop area.

When we had 4 chickens, we built a large coop that holds about 15 chickens to eventually increase the flock size. That was before Hector was the mean bird from hell. I named her a boy's name because of that. We build a separate area for young chicks and we realized a small store-bought coop wasn't enough, we added another one. So currently, 8 young hens sleep separately (3 in one, 5 in the other). Pepper sleeps alone in the big coop.

We opened up the vinyl divider between adult and young hens areas 3 days ago. 1st day, Pepper stayed in her area only, and chased off young ones came to her area. 2nd day, Pepper chases them off if they come close to her lettuce but didn't seem to mind them being around. Young ones also learned not to go too close to Pepper when she is eating, and move out of her way very quickly. 3rd day, I saw Pepper in young hens area. Looks like she was becoming comfortable going outside of her territory. Young hens were everywhere. At the end of the day, I couldn't tell which one was Pepper (we have another Barred Rock and a Marans which is quite similar looking).

I started feeling OK them together. Now that Hector is gone, it might be workable. Young ones go back to their area at night. I am going to have to work on putting a few with Pepper at night. I will report back how it goes.

Thank you!

So cute! I glad they started to tolerate each other. As long as I they are not attacking each other the chickens can work it out themselves :)

I was wondering the same thing. Since I'm in a subdivision I can't have has many as I would like so starting with 2. Then got to thinking if one is a rooster then I cant keep him and down to one. So went and pick up another one today. Hoping since they are only a week apart I won't have to much problems with them when put together.
So glad that she is getting along with the others.
big_smile.png

In Albuquerque, NM, we are allowed to have 15 chickens and only one of which can be a rooster. When we acquired 8 chicks a year ago, 4 were supposed to hens but 4 were straight run (3 Silkies and 1 Cochin), so we were very nervous finding out their sex. By the time I know for sure, I would be too attached to them and could not let go.

But they all turned out to be hens, a small miracle. My mom told me not to name them because one or two would die, but I must have done a good job. I hope yours are all hens.

I forced Della and Smokey to sleep in Pepper's bedroom. They complained and I think they slept in the nesting boxes. Pepper goes up on the top roost bar.

I watched them yesterday afternoon - Pepper seems getting used to chicks around, she wasn't chasing them off any more. She didn't even mind others were pecking at the food she was eating. But for some reason, chicks started fighting which I've never seen before. Spock has been broody and when she gets out, she takes out frustrations on others.

I would continue to put Della and Smokey for at least a week or so to see what happens.

Update!

Pepper and young hens are doing well. I was mostly concerned about the relationship with small hens like Silkies, but Pepper seems OK with them. It's raining in Albuquerque this morning and Silkies look extra small here.

We have a new problem - Pepper ate one of young hens' egg. Pepper often pecked or ate her own but since she wasn't laying much lately, that wasn't a problem until young ones started laying eggs in Pepper's nesting box. I am going to have to do something about it.

Also, I am forcing Della and Smokey to sleep with Pepper at night. It will take about a month before Della and Smokey naturally come to Pepper's bedroom but hopefully, they will all merge at night as well.

Back
Top Bottom