Can a human aggressive rooster change?

Desertroserobin

In the Brooder
Dec 30, 2019
I’m looking at switching mostly to roosters and am wondering if previously aggressive roosters will calm down once they no longer have hens? In this case they would have 10 acres to roam. There would only be about 5 hens on the property and they would all be kept in the coop with my one bantam rooster.
I prefer roosters for how pretty and tough they are, but I can’t have human aggressive ones as my little girl is terrified of roosters that act aggressive or chase, even if they don’t attack. So would this work? Or would I still have to be pretty careful which ones I brought in?

I can’t have human aggressive ones as my little girl is terrified of roosters that act aggressive or chase, even if they don’t attack. So would this work? Or would I still have to be pretty careful which ones I brought in?
Usually human aggressive roosters don't change and I would never take the chance when there is a child involved that already is afraid of roosters.
A child should be able to act like a child: running about, screaming and tossing toys all over the place, having fun with friends coming around and chasing after each other etc.
All these natural activities of little children will tick roosters off, and even more so those that already have proven to be human aggressive.

Don't do this to your little girl!

And welcome to BYC! :frow

I’m looking at switching mostly to roosters and am wondering if previously aggressive roosters will calm down once they no longer have hens? In this case they would have 10 acres to roam. There would only be about 5 hens on the property and they would all be kept in the coop with my one bantam rooster.
I prefer roosters for how pretty and tough they are, but I can’t have human aggressive ones as my little girl is terrified of roosters that act aggressive or chase, even if they don’t attack. So would this work? Or would I still have to be pretty careful which ones I brought in?
You can change a roosters behaviour but it takes time and commitment and quite a lot of experience. However, if you have a child who is going to be coming into contact with any of the roosters you may bring to your property and you are posting on this forum seeking advice on the topic then imo you are not in a position to take the risk while you learn how to deal with roosters.
My advice: don't do it.
I agree that roosters are lovely and I've had quite a few over the years, calm ones, timid ones and others that have flogged me at every opportunity. It has taken me many weeks sometimes to come to a working arrangemnt with the most human aggresive roosters and cockerels and even then some have been fine with me but wouldn't tolerate anyone else.

You can change a roosters behaviour but it takes time and commitment and quite a lot of experience. However, if you have a child who is going to be coming into contact with any of the roosters you may bring to your property and you are posting on this forum seeking advice on the topic then imo you are not in a position to take the risk while you learn how to deal with roosters.
My advice: don't do it.
I agree that roosters are lovely and I've had quite a few over the years, calm ones, timid ones and others that have flogged me at every opportunity. It has taken me many weeks sometimes to come to a working arrangemnt with the most human aggresive roosters and cockerels and even then some have been fine with me but wouldn't tolerate anyone else.
I’ve had lots of roosters, but have always gotten rid of them the moment they start showing aggression. That why I asked, I have no intention of actually working with them to change them. I just needed to know how much no having hens around will affect their behavior. From the sound of it it doesn’t always, so I will need to be very careful which ones I bring in. Thank you for the information.

I’ve had lots of roosters, but have always gotten rid of them the moment they start showing aggression. That why I asked, I have no intention of actually working with them to change them. I just needed to know how much no having hens around will affect their behavior. From the sound of it it doesn’t always, so I will need to be very careful which ones I bring in. Thank you for the information.

there will be hens. Of course, the group of roosters will be excluded from the hens as the hens will be separate with a single rooster. But, they can still interact a bit with them/see them/hear them. So, the hens might influence their behavior, but not sure to what extent, if any.

roosters certainly are attractive and Hardy, I agree with that. And there are good roosters, even ones with females. We’ve had excellent roosters, non human aggressive, and some unfortunately aggressive ones. The aggressive ones don’t get to stay long.

With a child, I’d be hesitant to have free ranging roosters anyway. Any rooster can decide to attack for whatever reason they may perceive. Children are often perceived as a threat with their unpredictable behavior. But, for sure, never a known aggressive rooster with kids. You do have experience with roosters and you have a lot of land, so perhaps free ranging roosters of moderate temperament can be just fine, particularly if they don’t have females ranging with them that they are actively protecting.

You still have to be carefull some roosters are just jerks and don't change I had a rooster coop and was carefully who I brought in because I rehomed them

You do have a lot of space, but depending on the plant life, they may only use a fraction of it. They will be attacked to the hens. I don't think it will work.

Back
Top Bottom