Can I count the dropping board/roost space?

Jan 23, 2010
Mountains of NC
I have an 8x8 coop with a 3x8 dropping board with roost above. Can I count the 3x8 area in addition to the overall 8x8 when calculating 4 sq. feet/chicken in the coop? I'm trying to justify keeping 20 chickens in a 8x8 coop with a 9x18 run. The chicks are now 7 weeks old and two are roos.

I would not count the square footage of the dropping board as walking space, because I would not allow them to walk/sit/stand/ or do anything on there except poop!
big_smile.png

-Noah

Quote:
They are up there running around and hanging out now. The dropping board is covered in vinyl and then shavings. I keep it pretty clean. It's no dirtier than the floor of the coop.

Nope poop boards don't count. That seems like a lot of chickens in there. If you have to close them up any during the winter I would imagine you are going to have problems. How cold does it get there and for how long? Snow?
sharon

Then you need to just count the coop space and that could be a problem if it is for very extended times. Being cooped up with little to do makes for some testy chickens.
sharon

Quote:
Then, maybe what I should do is split the group and put 7 pullets with 1 roo in a 6x8 coop and the other 11 pullets and 1 roo stay in the 8x8 coop. I'm a little nervous about having roos. Wasn't the plan when I ordered the chicks:)

Ha ha! I understand that! I didn't intend to have any either. I started out with started pullets to avoid it but later got some chicks....and of course some roosters! Of course by the time I realized they were roos it was too late. I was attached.

Quote:
So, do you think my coop space and number of hens will work for these boys. I would really llike to keep them all together but my DH will KILL me if I suggest we make the coop larger.

You can always give it a shot and make adjustments as needed. Some chickens are meaner than others. You just don't know till you try. I have three roos right now with nine hens..not the best ratio but so far so good.

Back
Top Bottom