Can I start a controversial topic(probable) and most likely play devils advocate?

Pics

z3lda3

Songster
Mar 24, 2024
I hope this is the right forum for this.
I’ve been reading a lot about ppl getting chickens or ducks and asking about how to deal with their neighbors. And a lot of the comments and reply’s are “well ask your neighbors how’d they’d feel about you getting chickens”. Um.. I’m sorry what?? I’m not a mean person and I try to get along with everyone. But (here’s where the devils advocate may come in) I will not ASK my neighbors permission to buy/own something. I’m an adult, I own my house and my land. I pay my taxes, and I’ll do and have what I want on my property. (Within the law of course) There are no laws or ordinances here in the country about chickens including roosters. Are they fenced in and kept only on my property- you better believe it. My chickens nor my dogs just wonder willy nilly. If my chickens and their noises bother my neighbors tough noogies buy ear plugs. (Just to be clear my dogs are indoor/outdoor dogs and they are quiet. I’m specifically talking about chickens.) Am I in the minority here?

I hope this is the right forum for this.
I’ve been reading a lot about ppl getting chickens or ducks and asking about how to deal with their neighbors. And a lot of the comments and reply’s are “well ask your neighbors how’d they’d feel about you getting chickens”. Um.. I’m sorry what?? I’m not a mean person and I try to get along with everyone. But (here’s where the devils advocate may come in) I will not ASK my neighbors permission to buy/own something. I’m an adult, I own my house and my land. I pay my taxes, and I’ll do and have what I want on my property. (Within the law of course) There are no laws or ordinances here in the country about chickens including roosters. Are they fenced in and kept only on my property- you better believe it. My chickens nor my dogs just wonder willy nilly. If my chickens and their noises bother my neighbors tough noogies buy ear plugs. (Just to be clear my dogs are indoor/outdoor dogs and they are quiet. I’m specifically talking about chickens.) Am I in the minority here?
Well, here's my two cents :). I think that if I lived right next door to someone, like where our yards were conjoined or our houses were less than two feet apart, I'd ask them their opinion and if they are against it, I'd tell them I'll weigh their concerns but of course it's my yard, so I might end up getting chickens anyway. Assuming, of course, that chickens were legal and everything. I wouldn't look at it so much as asking permission, but asking if they have any meaningful objections or concerns (also giving them an advance notification). As long as there's decent space, though, no I wouldn't ask.

Well, here's my two cents :). I think that if I lived right next door to someone, like where our yards were conjoined or our houses were less than two feet apart, I'd ask them their opinion and if they are against it, I'd tell them I'll weigh their concerns but of course it's my yard, so I might end up getting chickens anyway. Assuming, of course, that chickens were legal and everything. I wouldn't look at it so much as asking permission, but asking if they have any meaningful objections or concerns (also giving them an advance notification). As long as there's decent space, though, no I wouldn't ask.

Well, here's my two cents :). I think that if I lived right next door to someone, like where our yards were conjoined or our houses were less than two feet apart, I'd ask them their opinion and if they are against it, I'd tell them I'll weigh their concerns but of course it's my yard, so I might end up getting chickens anyway. Assuming, of course, that chickens were legal and everything. I wouldn't look at it so much as asking permission, but asking if they have any meaningful objections or concerns (also giving them an advance notification). As long as there's decent space, though, no I wouldn't

I live in a farming community so I don’t have that problem (thank goodness). Sometimes I have to go wait..am I being mean??

Yes, you are in the minority here. and you made a common mistake. You don't own your home and your land, you hold them in trust for your local lord (the State) and its designate lesser lords (your county and/or municipality). As is evident the first time you choose not to pay taxes, or they decide your land can be put to "better" purposes. See, for example, "Kelo v. City of New London".

Broadly, owners here on BYC fall into one of five categories.

The lucky few whose ordinances place few if any restrictions on ownership, situated on large parcels (10+ acres) who choose to erect some form of containment for their birds (or have so much land their chickens don't leave it).

Those whose ordinances place few restrictions and don't care if their birds leave their property (I don't consider this to be "neighborly", and routinely tell those "benefiting" from unwanted local chickens on their lands to search their Code, key words, "at large").

Those whose code is moderately to quite restrictive, and who choose to abide by said code - typically 4 to 6 hens in a small cage, cooped 24/7, often with odious permitting requirements, potential inspections, and licensing.

a small number of people who don't abide by their local zoning - reasons vary. Some of whom very publicly make the mistake you repeated above, loudly, as if it justifies/excuses their choice to flaunt the rules of civil society.

the poor folks whose zoning appears not particularly restrictive, and choose to get birds, only to discover that their continued ownership is dependent on their neighbors not making nuisance complaints - because their ownership is dependent on the neighbors not working night shifts, selling their home to a less poultry tolerant owner, people assuming the new rat/raccooon/possom problem is because of the chickens and not recent high rain fall or jim on the corner leaving trash out for days after his 3 day bar-b-q bash, etc...

Sometimes you have to ask the neighbors. In my area, you can want to build a barn/pole building. Code says X% of the main house (or similar guidelines/requirements), but if you want a larger building - you can apply to the proper local government office, but you will also have to ask your immediate neighbors for "permission" ...meaning that they don't mind that you are building a larger building than is usually permitted. And we are rural.

Sometimes you have to ask the neighbors. In my area, you can want to build a barn/pole building. Code says X% of the main house (or similar guidelines/requirements), but if you want a larger building - you can apply to the proper local government office, but you will also have to ask your immediate neighbors for "permission" ...meaning that they don't mind that you are building a larger building than is usually permitted. And we are rural.
Thats a "code Variance", and how you go about showing the neighbor's approval varies from "nobody objected at the zoning hearing" to showing up at zoning with a paper signed by every property owner within X distance affirmatively approving.

Yes, you are in the minority here. and you made a common mistake. You don't own your home and your land, you hold them in trust for your local lord (the State) and its designate lesser lords (your county and/or municipality). As is evident the first time you choose not to pay taxes, or they decide your land can be put to "better" purposes. See, for example, "Kelo v. City of New London".

The lucky few whose ordinances place few if any restrictions on ownership, situated on large parcels (10+ acres) who choose to erect some form of containment for their birds (or have so much land their chickens don't leave it).

Those whose ordinances place few restrictions and don't care if their birds leave their property (I don't consider this to be "neighborly", and routinely tell those "benefiting" from unwanted local chickens on their lands to search their Code, key words, "at large").

Those whose code is moderately to quite restrictive, and who choose to abide by said code - typically 4 to 6 hens in a small cage, cooped 24/7, often with odious permitting requirements, potential inspections, and licensing.

a small number of people who don't abide by their local zoning - reasons vary. Some of whom very publicly make the mistake you repeated above, loudly, as if it justifies/excuses their choice to flaunt the rules of civil society.

the poor folks whose zoning appears not particularly restrictive, and choose to get birds, only to discover that their continued ownership is dependent on their neighbors not making nuisance complaints - because their ownership is dependent on the neighbors not working night shifts, selling their home to a less poultry tolerant owner, people assuming the new rat/raccooon/possom problem is because of the chickens and not recent high rain fall or jim on the corner leaving trash out for days after his 3 day bar-b-q bash, etc...

I live in an agricultural community and we never have new raccoon problems. We have the same old raccoon problems we’ve always had.
Everyone around me owns chickens, cattle farms HUGE MASSIVE cattle and horse farms. And I’m pretty sure one of neighbors just got into miniature goats. But IF the ppl who aren’t in a farming community but call local officials city/county and know the regulations, and the law says yes to chickens, why ask a neighbor anything?

I live in an agricultural community and we never have new raccoon problems. We have the same old raccoon problems we’ve always had.
Everyone around me owns chickens, cattle farms HUGE MASSIVE cattle and horse farms. And I’m pretty sure one of neighbors just got into miniature goats. But IF the ppl who aren’t in a farming community but call local officials city/county and know the regulations, and the law says yes to chickens, why ask a neighbor anything?
I live in the middle of nowhere. I didn't ask, there is essentially no zoning out here, beyond what the State has established.

*and in answer to your question, because an awful lot of people, unfortunately, fall into category 5) -

"Nuisance" is whatever the local judge decides it is, and the complaint can be made by whatever neighbor thinks its a nuisance to them. That's a level of legal uncertainy i find intolerable. If you choose to step into that legal and social minefield, its best to start by asking the neighbors (not that asking first in any way binds them to that decision).

Hm is the reasoning for that something like if I plant a garden, but Bobs building a bigger barn then it’ll block the sun? As an example.

I live in the middle of nowhere. I didn't ask, there is essentially no zoning out here, beyond what the State has established.

*and in answer to your question, because an awful lot of people, unfortunately, fall into category 5) -

"Nuisance" is whatever the local judge decides it is, and the complaint can be made by whatever neighbor thinks its a nuisance to them. That's a level of legal uncertainy i find intolerable. If you choose to step into that legal and social minefield, its best to start by asking the neighbors (not that asking first in any way binds them to that decision).
Right! So let’s say you ask your neighbor, and he’s cool with chickens. Until 6 months later oh sorry the noise bothers me now. Then what? It just seems like once you ask you’re saying, they can control what I can and can not do.

Back
Top Bottom