Can someone please make a Pea color chart............

chickenzoo

Emu Hugger
14 Years
Mar 10, 2008
a bumpy dirt road in Florida
I know they have them for chickens... do they even have one for peas? The charts that if you put a color of the male and the color of the female it will tell you what the resulting color percentages will be....
I know peas are a little more difficult, but can some one please make one for us knot heads that have problems understanding, color , pattern.......
fl.gif

I was considering doing this but the chart would be.... huge. Because of all the combinations each bird can be. You may have an india blue, but it can be split to a bunch of other things and you'd have to have a chart that spans literally hundreds of rows and columns to cover each pairing.

I'd love one... but the year it would take for anyone to make it may not happen.

Brad Legg's site has a good basic listing. http://www.leggspeafowl.com/basicgenetics.htm It's not quite what you mentioned but it's a good (easy to read) listing.

Funny you would mention this as I told DH I'd love to see something like this but sadly, i'm only a programmer groupie and would have no clue how to implement it.
gig.gif
Might have to ask a couple of my buddies though, they are always looking for a fun 'project' just need to provide the data--task in and of itself!

I think it's actually 225 possible colors (but not all are in existence yet).... add in splits bred to splits and it could get crazy in here!

List really wouldn't be that long. Only 12 colors and 5 patterns.

colors bred together like opal X bronze = blue split to those color.

work with color then pattern.

Blue is always Dominant

Barred wing(wing type) is dominant in the patterns

White eye is co-dominant so only one bird needs to carry the white eye gene

Two list one for pattern and one for color.

I think he's talking about a table chart with all the combinations along the top and along the left column... which would mean a 225x225 (or however many possible combinations there are) space table with all the offspring genetics of the pairings in the cross area. There may only be a small # of patterns and colors, but it's the mixing and matching and writing down of every combination that is daunting... then again maybe 2 smaller charts would do and using them together would work. That's certainly a smaller scale... maybe I will put that together. Can you list the pattern combinations and the full colors? I wouldn't want to get it wrong but I'd love to have a chart I can add in to the peafowl 101 post.

Last edited:
1. Blue X Blue = 100% Blue
2. Blue X opal(or any non sex link color) = 100% blue split opal(or non sex link color)
3. Blue split opal X Blue split opal(or non sex link color) =25% blue and 50% blue split opal and 25% opal

you can do the same with patterns.

really you want to work with a pattern then the color.

remember birds can have more than one pattern . like blackshoulder pied white eye X barred wing = 100 barred wing split to all three of these patterns and some will be white eye.

I could, but I was asking more for a list of which patterns can go together since all combinations would have to be listed, I think. Oof this is looking daunting again the more I think about it... @.@ It seemed simple for a minute till I started thinking about combinations again.

Here's what I have for colors: Blue, Cameo, White, Charcoal, Purple, Bronze, Peach, Opal, Midnight, Jade, Taupe, Sonja’s Violeta

So which colors can things be split to? Like, I know blue can be split to white and cameo, but how about charcoal? Can there be a blue split midnight? Or a cameo split jade? All those splits would have to be listed on a comprehensive chart... and if it was to inform people who have never had anything to do with peafowl before seeing the chart, there would have to be a reason listed. I personally don't know very much about peafowl genetics and what is and is not possible... so I'm willing to undertake making a chart but I couldn't do it by myself.

As for patterns, these are the patterns I know:
Barred wing, Blackshoulder, pied, silver pied, and white eye

The same basic questions would need to be answered for patterns... which patterns go together? Which can't? Obviously barred wing and blackshoulder are mutually exclusive, but barred wing can be split BS, so that would have to be listed as well... So while the answer may be simple in your head (because let's face it, you've got YEARS on most people's knowledge and this stuff probably seems natural to you... wish I had that!
big_smile.png
) it's less so on paper... at least, if one is looking to make a chart covering all the colors and patterns.

Last edited:
Patterns

1. Barred wing
2. Solid wing(blackshoulder)
3. White Eye
4. pied
5.silver pied

Colors

1. Blue
2. Bronze
3. Opal
4. White
5. Jade
6. Midnight
7. Taupe
8. Charcoal
9. Peach
10. Purple
11. cameo
12. Violete

Last 4 color are sex link

Plus Green....any of the above color or pattern with green blood are spalding.

Back
Top Bottom