Can You Use Hay With Mold In It For Bedding ? Need Answers Quick!

yankeedoodle300

Songster
8 Years
Jul 22, 2011
Chicken Heaven
Can You Use Hay With Mold In It For Bedding ? I Need to know Fast if you Can. I Don't Want them to Eat it, Just for Bedding.

Will it Make them Sick? The don't Eat there Pine Shaving to much,But what About the Hay?

I Am Making Winter Changes Such as Switching to Corn, and Maybe a Heater... But Can You Use Hay With Mold In It For Bedding ???

Last edited:
I wouldn't, even if they don't eat it. The mold spores will get into the air of the relatively enclosed coop, and could cause respiratory problems.

Moldy hay isn't good for much other than compost.

Quote:
Never use anything moldy with your animals.

They don't need a heater, they wear down coats and will be fine.

You can give some corn for added energy for body heat, but don't switch to feeding only corn. Keep them on their regular feed and water.

Don't do it. Can you get straw instead? My chickens go nuts over fresh straw bedding, scratching and pecking for any oats they may find still in the hulls.

Mold is one of the largest killers settling in the lungs. It needs to be just moist, warm and a place to grow. The mold in hay is usually black mold and you can put 1 million living spores on the head of a needle. NO NO NO do not feed it or have it near your chickens !!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom