chicken having trouble standing and walking

flyballgirl

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 3, 2013
We have a Polish about two months old. She lives with a frizzle and in the past couple of days the Polish has been having trouble walking and standing up. She lays down a lot but does not seem sick other than that. I am treating for Coccidiosis but don't know if there are other diseases that can cause this behavior. Any help is appreciated.

Do her legs just seem weak, or are they partially paralyzed? Press your finger into the bottom of each foot; usually chickens will react to this by curling their toes and yanking their leg away. I would suspect either a vitamin deficiency or Marek's Disease (do you know whether she was vaccinated for Marek's?). To treat a vitamin deficiency, get some poultry vitamins to put in her water or Polyvisol infant vitamins (without iron) and give 1-2 drops to her per day. There really isn't a treatment for Marek's, though some people have had success using St. Johns Wort/Hypericum. Here is a thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/135247/st-johns-wort

Its possible that she has a vitamin deficiency. Vitamin deficiencies, especially vitamin B, can cause trouble walking. Try giving her some vitamins (either special poultry vitamins, or poly vi sol infant vitamins from a supermarket) for a few weeks, and see if that helps. I don't think that it is Coccidiosis, and two months old is a little young for a bird to have Marek's Disease.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom