Chicken laying weird shape egg died.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. One thing that wasn't mentioned - could she have been egg bound? Sounds like she might have gone in to lay her egg and it didn't come out.

We were pretty sure she was the oldest chicken we had. Our barred rocks are older. I know have another hen laying the same type egg consistently ever day. I've seen no signs of any hen being lath argue, not eating, or drinking. They are all acting normal.

Long story a little shorter. We just began keeping chickens in January. Initially we bought 6 RIR, the. My nieces wanted "zebra chickens" so we bought 4 barred rocks from the same individual a month later. Well we knew one of the rock hens was older. She had a defined comb and waddle, was coming out of molt and was bigger. She laid the biggest eggs of all and within the last few weeks has been laying eggs with a weird ring, like an egg with a spare tire.

Off course the pic doesn't do it justice. Well, we had a hen go broody and we hatched 5 chicks two weeks ago. This older hen laid an egg yesterday and went into a nest box this morning and stayed all day and wouldn't roost tonight, so I thought she was going broody. I had dreams about chickens and chicks and remembered I had the coop fan on (temps are dropping tonight in south alabama). I woke up, went out and cut off the fan, checked on the hen in the nest box and she was dead.

Just wondering if anyone else has came across this before. Was it natural? Do hens sometimes lay weird eggs before dying? Was she sick? She seemed just fine, laid almost everyday, always eating and scratching, acting just right. Then she got in the box all comfy and died.
I have 2 barnavelders that lay this. Its cus there w e isnt great. Nothing to do with sickness or death. They been laying for a yr now no issues. Eggs always ugly thou lol

Long story a little shorter. We just began keeping chickens in January. Initially we bought 6 RIR, the. My nieces wanted "zebra chickens" so we bought 4 barred rocks from the same individual a month later. Well we knew one of the rock hens was older. She had a defined comb and waddle, was coming out of molt and was bigger. She laid the biggest eggs of all and within the last few weeks has been laying eggs with a weird ring, like an egg with a spare tire.

Off course the pic doesn't do it justice. Well, we had a hen go broody and we hatched 5 chicks two weeks ago. This older hen laid an egg yesterday and went into a nest box this morning and stayed all day and wouldn't roost tonight, so I thought she was going broody. I had dreams about chickens and chicks and remembered I had the coop fan on (temps are dropping tonight in south alabama). I woke up, went out and cut off the fan, checked on the hen in the nest box and she was dead.

Just wondering if anyone else has came across this before. Was it natural? Do hens sometimes lay weird eggs before dying? Was she sick? She seemed just fine, laid almost everyday, always eating and scratching, acting just right. Then she got in the box all comfy and died.
I have 2 barnavelders that lay this. Its cus there w e isnt great. Nothing to do with sickness or death. They been laying for a yr now no issues. Eggs always ugly thou lol

This just happens. Chickens are often times not real long lived. I agree with ^^ it did not have anything to do with the egg laying or strange egg shape. I don't think it had anything to do with calcium or diet either, nor disease.

Just the circle of life. Give them good food and water. The rest is the luck of the draw. Some will live longer lives than others.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom