Chicken with terrible wound

Friendofchix

In the Brooder
Mar 6, 2024
I’m new to chicken keeping and found my hen with this terrible wound on her side. She is very bald due to feather picking/ over grooming. I believe the rooster mounted her and sliced her with his spur when he couldn’t hold on due to lack of feathers. I am going to flush with peroxide and apply vetericyn. Will that heal this wound? Should I separate her? Does she need to see a vet?
IMG_0363.jpeg

Only use an peroxide solution once; using it multiple times will thwart healing. What is better is clorhexidine solution - you can get this almost anywhere, but TSC has it. PLEASE read the label - it is sold super concentrated and you will have to dilute it to use it. Clorhexidine has antimicrobial, antibiotic and antifungal properties and is a great all around wound care option - a must have in chicken keeping.

If she is that bald from feather pecking, her flock mates will probably continue with the pecking and continue into the tissue if allowed. Is she were my hen and I already had these issues I would separate her so that others cannot get to her wound. I would keep her close to the flock, but in an area where dirt and flies cannot get to her wound.

I would clean daily with clorhexidine and then put a nice layer of triple antibiotic ointment on the wound 2x daily. It should heal up fairly quickly. Foul odor indicates infection so keep a nose out for that.

Hope she heals quickly!

Also...is she acting okay otherwise? Eating, drinking, etc?

She is otherwise acting normal and seems to feel better after the initial application of peroxide and vetericyn. Thanks!

Also, she is way more bald than anyone else in the flock, I was suspecting she was also over grooming herself, but I’m not sure.

She is otherwise acting normal and seems to feel better after the initial application of peroxide and vetericyn. Thanks!
I hope she continues to get better. Please know that neither peroxide nor vetrericyn is an antibiotic. She will need the antibiotic ointment stave off infection. It is also necessary to keep the wound moist with the antibiotic ointment so that it can heal properly.
❤️

Last edited:
They eat Scratch and Peck layer feed, oyster shell, and grit. I have been giving them mealworms as a treat to increase their protein as well to help with feather growth. None of the other chickens have molted. They are just over a year old.

The first time my chickens molted it freaked me out. I had one that was almost naked beak to toes. Then I had others that only lost a few feathers and still others that lost in patches that completely fell off in one area and when those were growing back, they lost feathers in other areas. Still I have some 2 year olds that have not molted yet, or if they did it was not noticeable. I have also had some of my summer babies molt the following fall. Each molt was different and they all molted at different times. They can molt at any time, although most prevalent in the late summer/fall and usually between 16-18 months. But it can happen sooner. Shorter days trigger the molting process.

Your feed is "Scratch and Peck" Layer pellets, 16% protein? If so, that is the bare minimum for healthy birds (it is commercial "industry standard" - they have determined the minimum amount of protein needed by birds used to mass product to get the most production at the lowest costs - 16% is where they landed). It works, it is just not optimal.

Most birds can benefit from a higher level of protein and if you have a rooster, he NEEDS, a higher level of protein. He can also get internal organ damage from the higher level of calcium in layer feed.

I feed mine a 20% all flock feed. Then I don't have to worry about getting more protein into them (via less nutritious treats) when they need it, i.e., at times of molting. I also don't have to worry about my rooster getting the additional protein he needs or too much calcium that he doesn't need. I feed them back their eggs shells as a treat (rooster is not interested in them) and give them free choice flaked oyster shells. They know when to eat more calcium. I don't do grit b/c my chickens free range all day at their leisure and can pick up grit from around the land. :)

Just some thoughts. Hope yous gal gets better quickly!

The first time my chickens molted it freaked me out. I had one that was almost naked beak to toes. Then I had others that only lost a few feathers and still others that lost in patches that completely fell off in one area and when those were growing back, they lost feathers in other areas. Still I have some 2 year olds that have not molted yet, or if they did it was not noticeable. I have also had some of my summer babies molt the following fall. Each molt was different and they all molted at different times. They can molt at any time, although most prevalent in the late summer/fall and usually between 16-18 months. But it can happen sooner. Shorter days trigger the molting process.

Your feed is "Scratch and Peck" Layer pellets, 16% protein? If so, that is the bare minimum for healthy birds (it is commercial "industry standard" - they have determined the minimum amount of protein needed by birds used to mass product to get the most production at the lowest costs - 16% is where they landed). It works, it is just not optimal.

Most birds can benefit from a higher level of protein and if you have a rooster, he NEEDS, a higher level of protein. He can also get internal organ damage from the higher level of calcium in layer feed.

I feed mine a 20% all flock feed. Then I don't have to worry about getting more protein into them (via less nutritious treats) when they need it, i.e., at times of molting. I also don't have to worry about my rooster getting the additional protein he needs or too much calcium that he doesn't need. I feed them back their eggs shells as a treat (rooster is not interested in them) and give them free choice flaked oyster shells. They know when to eat more calcium. I don't do grit b/c my chickens free range all day at their leisure and can pick up grit from around the land. :)

Just some thoughts. Hope yous gal gets better quickly!
I just switched to the 18% “animal feed”. I put neosporin on the wound last night and have continued to apply the vetericyn twice today already. I was moving the flock to their new much larger coop and run when I saw the wound yesterday. She is isolated in the smaller one now. She’s eating and drinking and seems comfortable. She laid an egg as usual.

Back
Top Bottom