Cleaning after free range chickens

MissJames

Songster
11 Years
Oct 17, 2008
Coastal SC
Friends of my sons have been raising some meat chickens on our property.They will process them next week .They used a bottomless pen and moved it over every square inch of my yard.Soon I will be putting my own RIR chickens out there and I'm wondering if I need to clean up after the first batch so mine don't catch anything.As far as I can tell they have been healthy,but I've been very hands off with their's. Any advice?

If you have the time to lime the area it can cut down on the amt. of cocci in the soil. Work it into the top couple of inches of soil. then water it in. You might also want to plant something like winter rye seed. Good luck jean

Quote:
It already has grass and is more than an acre.We are actually on 8 acres.Can I just spread the lime on the grass before it rains?
Thanks
Robin

Quote:
Uh,Jean,what part of NC is Franklin? We have a cabin in Boone.I was hoping chickens liked going to the mtns : )
Robin

Southern appalacian area. Boone is in the northern area. Chickens do not like to travel. It can throw the egg laying off for weeks and cause them to molt. Jean

Back
Top Bottom