Cleaning Pea Gravel

linen53

Chirping
11 Years
Feb 26, 2011
Fremont County, CO
I put pea grave in my duck yard last summer. I hose it down every day to "clean" it. I have noticed under the top layer it is getting pretty dirty. Can I spray something on it to "eat up" the extra gunk that has filtered down? I'm sure someone has some good advice out there.

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but it might help. It works well in horse stalls.

http://www.spalding-labs.com/ByeByeOdor/Default.aspx
Removes Odor and the Harmful Effects of Ammonia Naturally

Bye Bye Odor is a safe and natural solution especially formulated to substantially reduce or eliminate a wide range of odors associated with animal urine and manure. Bye Bye Odor microbes, when wet, consume and breakdown the urea and other organics that cause the unpleasant smell and unhealthy ammonia build up from confined animal urine and waste. Bye Bye Odor has a higher concentration of the microbes that eliminate odor than other available products.

By the way, how does the pea gravel work for you? That was what drew my eye to your post. I was just thinking about building a new duck pen so I can get some Anconas and was wondering how pea gravel would work.

I was worried that they might swallow it and thinking maybe the larger sized drainage rock (the kind they use is septic systems and french drains) would work better... Not sure.

I'm wondering if you can buy bacterial colonies for septic tanks to help break it down. Otherwise, try attaching a 2-liter bottle of cola to a hose-end sprayer (like the kind for spraying Miracle Grow or some other fertilizer on the lawn) and douse the pea gravel. The sugar in the cola is a source of carbon to help speed up the decomposition of the high-nitrogen poop that's collecting in the pea gravel. Think of a compost heap -- balance the carbon to nitrogen ratio to get things cooking.

smile.png

Plus, Coke will eat it's way through anything!
smile.png

I'm wondering if you can buy bacterial colonies for septic tanks to help break it down. Otherwise, try attaching a 2-liter bottle of cola to a hose-end sprayer (like the kind for spraying Miracle Grow or some other fertilizer on the lawn) and douse the pea gravel. The sugar in the cola is a source of carbon to help speed up the decomposition of the high-nitrogen poop that's collecting in the pea gravel. Think of a compost heap -- balance the carbon to nitrogen ratio to get things cooking.

smile.png

I use pea gravel & a rake. I spray, rake, spray, rake, spray... well, you get the point.
I have three Anconas & since I added the pea gravel to my wire mesh floor I have had a much easier time keeping their enclosure clean. I have pea gravel over the wire, and in winter I throw a layer of hay over the pea gravel.
I have never had problems with them eating the pea gravel. They nibbled it the first day & spit it out. I think it is too big to be grit & not tasty enough to be food.
My enclosure is raised a bit (maybe 2") off the ground, so when I rake & rinse it doesn't pool under the enclosure, which would probably make it harder to keep the gravel clean.
I have a friend who uses some gunk for cleaning her aquarium rocks (an enzyme) in a sprayer two or three times a year in her duck pen, but it is not raised at all. I am not sure of the name, but I'll try to shoot her an email & get back to you.
Good luck.

By the way, how does the pea gravel work for you? That was what drew my eye to your post. I was just thinking about building a new duck pen so I can get some Anconas and was wondering how pea gravel would work.

I was worried that they might swallow it and thinking maybe the larger sized drainage rock (the kind they use is septic systems and french drains) would work better... Not sure.

Last edited:
I love my pea gravel. No, the ducks won't eat the gravel and the smaller pebbles are easier to walk on and more comfortable. I can't imagine not having the gravel down. Otherwise it would be a muddy mess!! As a matter of fact, I just purchased another load of pea gravel to do the walkways around the duck yard and their eating area outside the duck yard when they are out free-ranging during the day. Some people use sand also but I don't. I like the idea of it draining without any obstruction

An FYI- That product by Spaulding is good, but be forewarned the bottle will tell you to use it up in a month. I bought it for my litter box and small animal cages, and bought the smallest bottle too. Still only a fraction through it in a few months, so I will end up throwing it out.

I have a product I use on my duck pool and the stall mats called Poop Off. I really like it. Made specifically for birds I think.

Back
Top Bottom