Comparing EE/Ameraucana chicks

Want Less

Songster
9 Years
Mar 24, 2010
New Bern, NC
Last year we bought three sexed RIRs and three black sex links from a locally owned feed store who buys from Hoffman Hatchery. A few weeks into it, it was easy to figure out that one of our RIR girls was a roo. Our chickens are backyard pets, so even though we didn't want a roo, we kept him. Now, a year later, we're to the point of finding him a new home. Not because he's mean to people, but because he's over breeding our hens.

Three weeks ago, we bought three more chicks to add to our flock (we're adding a few each year to stagger the laying down the road). These chicks again came from the same feed store, who buys from Hoffman. They were sold as Araucanas, but I knew going into it that more than likely they were Ameraucanas or Easter Eggers.

Our chicks turned three weeks old on Thursday. When we discovered a roo in the mix of our three RIRs last year, he was easy to pick out because the RIR chicks were pretty identical (comparing apples to apples so to say in that batch) but with these chicks, they are each so different -- coloring, feathering rate, etc -- that it's more difficult to compare them.

First off, to get this out of the way, loud noises and such to startle them results in ALL of them standing up straight (whereas Ive read that roos are more likely to do this, and the girls hunker down to the ground). They've done this pretty much since day one. Occasionally if something scares them BIG time, they all flee and put their bellies on the ground and sit perfectly still for a while.

196375_1800122836819_1052231516_31950661_150229_n.jpg

When we got them (at a day old), two had regular tails and one was much smaller and had no tail (rumpless style). Three weeks later, the no-tail chick, named Turkey, is still the smallest by a few ounces, and is much further behind on feathering that the other two (still mostly fuzz with most of the feathering only on the wings). This chick started as a mottled-colored chipmunk style, and wing feathers are coming in black with reddish tips. Legs are a little thicker and green/blue. Small comb has bumps and is turning a mild blush color. No wattles showing yet. Attitude-wise, this chick has been the more busy body of the three -- think "irritating little sibling" attitude here. This chick has started wanting to play more rough, jumping at the others, and seems to think its fun now to get on the roost and dive bomb the others, mostly chick #2 shown below. We rarely catch this chick trying to play rough with chick #3 at the bottom. Here is Turkey. Compare feathering rate and such to the other two at the bottom. BIG difference.

207377_1800124196853_1052231516_31950665_7771045_n.jpg

Chick #2, Denim, is gray with medium rate feathering (in comparison to the other two -- Chick #1 above with very little feathering, and chick #3 below with a crap ton of feathering, this chick is equally in the middle). This chick has medium size, yellowish legs, some blushing on a small comb showing up, and small wattles peaking out (not very noticeable unless you compare to the other two). This chick has always been the loner of the three, often sleeping alone on a different schedule that the other two, although will also snuggle and play with the others as well. Quiet personality. The chick #1 above likes to pick play-fights with this one the most, and this chick will argue back if chick #1 doesn't stop. In the picture below of chick #2, its harder to tell the feathering rate because of her gray color but this one is closer to 50/50 on feather verses fuzz. You can see a little blushing on the comb.

207975_1800124396858_1052231516_31950666_3590456_n.jpg

Last but not least, chick #3, Esmay, has been trying to grow to keep up with the feathers. I've never seen a chick feather out so fast, and her feathers are long too (she looks more like a small hawk than a chick right now... haha!) Finer legs, barely a comb present and it has no blushing. This chick is the friendliest of the bunch, the first to check anything out, and though her feathering makes her appear to be bigger than the other two, her weight has stayed identical to chick #2 (the gray above). Check out the tail and wings on this one compared to the other two!

196638_1800123116826_1052231516_31950662_2947707_n.jpg

Obviously I'm concerned that we have a roo, if not TWO, in the mix unfortunately but this breed is so different and varied from one chick to the next that I'd love some input from others who have experience with them. RIRs are pretty standard, but these chicks could very well have a little of everything thrown into the gene pool, so I almost feel unfair comparing them to each other. I'm HOPING that thats why they are so different, since they've retained these same differences since they were a day old.

My guesses:

Chick #1.... probably a roo. (ARRGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!)
he.gif

Chick #2.... I'm 50/50 on this one and holding out hope its not a roo
fl.gif

Chick #3.... haven't had any reason to suspect a roo here yet.
idunno.gif

What are your thoughts?

just a question, do you know the differenece in araucanas, americaucanas and 'easter eggers'?? i don't see beards on any of these chicks. our local feed store has some araucanas, and they already have the beards...i'm just curious, i've read up on all three of these, but in no means do i claim to know any more than what i've read, and hopefully understand! the third one already looks colored up like 2 of my ameraucana's, but what i've read is the no tail is an 'easter egger' meaning a mongrel or crossbreed of an thorough bred hen and a non breed rooster? maybe it will grow tail feathers as it feathers in? good luck!

My EE's have been the most curious birds in my flock from the beginning. 'Course, this is my first flock so what do I know
big_smile.png
. Ina was the first chick to hop onto my arm when I "dangled" them into the brooder (so that the birds would get used to me).
2 of my EEs are "chipmunk" (Ina and Ava), 1 is a gorgeous grey (Ashley). They're all supposed to be female.

First Easter Eggers are a mutt chicken
Here is the difference. If you get them from a hatchery or feed store they are Easter Eggers. Only breeds have true Ameraucana and Araucana
Ameraucana's come in only certain colors and breed true they also lay blue eggs.
Araucana are rump-less and should have ear-tufts which is not the same as muffs and beards. The also lay blue eggs and then there is this problem also The gene for ear-tufts is lethal, causing a significant portion of the tufted chicks to die in their eggs before they hatch.
Easter Eggers can lay blue, blue/green, green, pink, brown eggs may or may not have muffs and beards, may or may no be rump less, may have green, yellow, slate legs, The Easter Egger is not really a breed
I would recommend to go the byc breed section and do some research this will help you with the differences. Hope this helps.
#2 is a rooster I would bet.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses everyone :)

Just for the record in case it wasnt clear in my original post, I'm not concerned about the exact breed of these chicks. They were sold as Araucanas and I knew going into it that they were not, and my assumption is that they are EEs. I'm only looking for colored eggs :)

Since they are all so different, and so much floating around in the gene pool, Im just having a harder time than before in identifying any roos and looking for help.

I'm in the same boat with my EEs. I've got 16 EE mutts and they are all so different it will be hard to tell. I know one for sure is a rooster because he mock crows and I've seen him instigate mini cock fights with a couple other chicks. I haven't decided what to do with my roos yet. What will you do with yours if you get any?

Quote:
How old are yours? Mine turned 3 weeks on Thursday. No mock crowing action seen but #1 chick (Turkey) consistently picks chest bumping/jumping play fights. Is that the type of "cock fight" youre talking about? #2 chick, Denim, fights back the same way if pestered enough. #3 chick, Esmay, doesnt.

Mine are only 2 weeks old. And yes, the jumping kicking squabbles look like mini cock fights to me! But what do I know, maybe little hens engage in this activity too. The crowing is hysterical. Like a grown rooster, he flaps his little wings, stands up tall, arches his neck, and then peep-shrieks. LoL! It is so funny. Another one copied him, but it was one of 3 reds that I'm having trouble telling apart. It's also a red that he mock fights with the most. I need to put a sharpie next to their cage so I can mark the toes of the red suspected boy. I did not expect the behaviors so early, but I spend a lot of time watching them. I've always raised female chicks before... this was my first hatching.

80816_lalachick.jpg

This is the one I'm pretty certain is a boy. The one who tries to crow.

80816_lotsachicks.jpg

This is a few more of them

If it were me I would not worry yet about any of them being roosters. You will have a much better idea in a few weeks. Maybe you do have one or more but it is hard to say at this point. I would not guess with EE's at this age.

sorry, this is a little OT, but coldweatherbirds, those are some darn cute pics you have there, all your babies look quite pleased.
smile.png
and am i allowed to say, i'm happy to see i'm not the only one that lets my chicks on my carpets? i think it's time i invested in a steam cleaner, because the spot cleaning is just not cutting it anymore...

Back
Top Bottom