Comparing eggs, inside and out

Chicken5555

Songster
Apr 10, 2016
somewhere in the Southern USA
frow.gif
Hello!!!

hu.gif
I had no idea that eggs have a base color and an outer coating until after a bunch of reading, so I decided to make this thread for anyone who is curious about the many different egg colors we see.

Here are some pictures donated from fellow BYC members for this project.

highfive.gif
I couldn't have done this without their contributions.

We can clearly see that the inside of this egg is the same lovely shade of blue that's on the outside. This shows us that the outside of the egg has no brown "spray paint" as some like to call it.
Thank you @luvmychickenz for the photo of your cream legbar's egg.

This is an olive, boiled egg with part of the shell removed. The egg looks brown, but it is actually olive. The inside is light blue!
Thank you @penny1960 for your contribution!

The right side of this egg still has it's white inner membrane while the membrane on the left side has been peeled away. The color is the same shade of olive-brown inside and out, which could indicate a porous shell, or a gene that scientists have yet to discover. (the second option sounds way cool)
@buckabucka Thank you for your unique eggshell.

The inside of this egg is clearly different from the lightly painted outside.
@aart Thank you for this unique perspective of your egg!

The blue interior compared to the olive exterior is striking in this photo. We can clearly see that a brown coating over a blue egg creates olive colored eggs.
Thank you @Catandherchicks for your eggshell photo!

Please add your pictures too!! Show off your egg colors, but remember to peel the inner membrane away so we can see the difference between the inside and the outside of your eggs. Be sure to tell us what breed (or mix of breeds) your egg came from.

Thank you for reading through this thread. I hope you learned something new and interesting.
wee.gif

Here is a normal egg from my BR Little Hen. She's the one who goes broody a lot. Small egg with a thick shell, dark brown on the outside and bright white on the inside.

Her sister lays a L-XL egg with a thin shell, very light brown.

I think Little Hens eggs are so dark because they are so small, more coating on a smaller egg. They often have very dark freckles too.

Her sister lays a L-XL egg with a thin shell, very light brown.

I think Little Hens eggs are so dark because they are so small, more coating on a smaller egg. They often have very dark freckles too.

That makes sense. Come to think of it, my pullet's first egg was smaller and darker than the second and third eggs. It's like the bigger egg had the same amount of color but it was distributed over a larger area. Great observation!

I know this thread is old. I was making deviled eggs yesterday and I noticed all my brown eggs had a white inside. The green and blue ones had a blue inside. However my dark brown eggs had a blue inside. The picture below is just from a fresh one with a little bit of the membrane removed to show the blue. Does this mean she would lay green eggs if the brown coating wasn't so dark?

Attachments

• IMG_20240504_132820[1].jpg
    IMG_20240504_132820[1].jpg
    726 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20240504_132911[1].jpg
    IMG_20240504_132911[1].jpg
    336.4 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom