December 2021 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
As always I can't help myself. I had the opportunity to get a dozen Sultan eggs and jumped right on them! here in Australia they are classed as critical, only 55 breeding birds were recorded this year on the rare poultry trust list (total numbers unknown). I think these will be the most stressful and expensive eggs I have or ever will incubate

Looks like I'll be lucky to get any ducklings.15 were completely broken and some the yolks were busted everywhere, 1 had a crack that I could possibly repair but not worth the risk since there was egg all over it. air cells are all in really bad shape in the remaining 20.

I'm waiting on a splurge purchase of hatching eggs (mixed batch of Marans eggs from Greenfire, so probably Black Copper and some White). So if all goes well and they arrive in good shape we will be hatching in December :) I'm not sure why I thought Christmas chicks in the house was going to be a great idea. This will be our fourth hatch for 2021.

My Sultan eggs arrived today. They were packaged really well and all came intact, only a few have wobbly air cells.
Peeked at the duck eggs and happy to report some are showing signs of development. Air cells are really bad so it's a wait and see if they make it to hatch day.

Back
Top Bottom