Discolored-grey tone comb and wattle

copper

Hatching
10 Years
Oct 31, 2009
Hello,
We have 7 girls all in there various stages of molting. One in particular started first with the spotty kind of molt, looks like she is done. Her comb and wattle are now a pale grey tone red. The rest of the flock are all their normal bright red. Is there par for the course, low in protein, or something else. They are 1 1/2 old, it is our first experience with molting with them being mature. Would love and appreciate some expertise.
Thanks,
Nancy

My Teriyaki, a 11/2 yo GLW is in the exact same predicament as you describe, Nancy. I am also looking for some perspective. I hope the pale/greyish comb and waddle isn't a sign of something serious
hmm.png

I have found an answer here by Hidinginthehenhouse! It's normal!
clap.gif
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=3122602#p3122602
cool.png
Yayy!

Last edited:
just try to feed her up, and any others in molt..with some extra protein..and maybe some good vitamins..
takes a lot of protein to grow new feathers..

the comb will redden up when she starts back laying.

First choice is to add AviaCharge 2000 (a complete and certified organic approved supplement formulated for daily use available to purchase online thru McMurry or Strombergs)
Failing that I would get the vitamin supplement that most petstores will carry for molting birds and then in addition to that add wheatgermoil through their feed (or polyvisol enfamil) and sunflower seed hearts to their feed (with the occasional cooked egg)

Back
Top Bottom