do i need to supplement fodder?

fed my hens the ff this afternoon. I used 5 ladle fulls. ( not sure how much that is in cups.) the chickens tore into it. I think everyone got their bellies full. Most were off checking the ground for bugs and worms before the bowl was empty. Of course they were back at the gate this evening like they hadn't been fed in years.

Of course I do... part of the reason for us getting chickens was that we wanted to know where our food was coming from, but also give the producers of said food a much better life than they would have in a commercialized laying house. I think these girls have it. On top of all that I'm always up for a good experiment!
big_smile.png

Well, we've been doing fermented feed and fodder for about 5 days now. The chickens went on strike and quit laying for a couple days. Today they laid 4 eggs so that's better than none. Did anyone experience this when they switched over?
Also I scored a TON of free fresh produce form our local grocer this morning. My freezer is full of blackberries that were just going to be thrown away!!
celebrate.gif

Well, we've been doing fermented feed and fodder for about 5 days now.  The chickens went on strike and quit laying for a couple days. Today they laid 4 eggs so that's better than none. Did anyone experience this when they switched over? 
    Also I scored a TON of free fresh produce form our local grocer this morning.  My freezer is full of blackberries that were just going to be thrown away!!:celebrate
happy chickens!

I have been doing fodder and fermented feeds for 2.5 months and I am sold. I started the baby chicks I hatched out on it from day 1 so no problem there. My 6 meat birds have also been on it since day 1. However, I just obtained a few silkies that have never had it--they are 2 months old, after being here for 3 days now they are taking to it. None of my birds are over 2 months so they are just now starting to dig the fodder. I also raise mealworms and if they had their way, that is all they would eat. I noticed my feed consumption is being reduced by at least 1/3.

Maybe that's why my years old grass sprouted! I didn't soak it long.

I've been waiting to hear...how is your FF going? Want to learn a lesson from my mistakes? Lol

My husband called it slop...is that all were doing is slopping our chickens like farmers have been doing forever?
When I started feeding fermented feed and it was on the wet side, it reminded me exactly of slopping the hogs 50 years ago.

yes, between all my chicken experiments and the seeds i have started indoors our counters are covered. He knew what he was getting into when he married me
lau.gif
, but yes I am very fortunate to have a supportive husband..
Yes you are.
My wife isn't impressed with the whole thing.

I have been doing fodder and fermented feeds for 2.5 months and I am sold. I started the baby chicks I hatched out on it from day 1 so no problem there. My 6 meat birds have also been on it since day 1. However, I just obtained a few silkies that have never had it--they are 2 months old, after being here for 3 days now they are taking to it. None of my birds are over 2 months so they are just now starting to dig the fodder. I also raise mealworms and if they had their way, that is all they would eat. I noticed my feed consumption is being reduced by at least 1/3.
I'm sold on FF. I probably won't continue fodder once things start to green up. I think it is great in winter though and will do so again come November.

I probably will not continue my fodder once my veggie garden starts to grow really well. I just don't want them free ranging at the moment and eating up all of my freshly sown seeds. For now my 4 year old likes to dig up weeds in the yard for them and feed those to the chickens.

Well.. The chickens seem to love the fermented feed and the fodder, but they are still not laying eggs..... They've got to be getting enough nourishment. I mean they had collard greens and tomatoes for breakfast, fodder for a snack, then their fermented feed this afternoon. No to mention the head of lettuce that I hung for them today. I mean gaaaaah! What do they have NOT to be happy about??
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom