Droopy, floppy stomach skin on hen.

pipin

Chirping
Nov 5, 2018
Australia
Hi there! Meet Pepper! She's about two years old. We're located in TAS, Australia.

Recently, I've discovered she has a really, really saggy line of skin from her chest to her abdomen. It's like a broody patch but she isn't broody! I've felt it and it's just...loose skin and it doesn't seem to bother her at all. She's still laying, still roosting, eating and drinking fine and teaching the pullets their place in the pecking order.

Any idea what this could be? Her crop seems normal too - not pendulous, full at night and so on. No fatigue, normal poops (except recently from a heatwave) and so on. I tried to get some photos.

pepper03.jpg pepper02.jpg pepper01.jpg

It appears to be her breast area rather than her abdomen... which is further back between her legs. I am wondering if it may be a breast blister. Have you examined it fully? Is the skin/tissue discoloured? Does it feel like an empty pouch or is there some fluid or tissue in it?
What type of roosts do you have and does she use them or sleep on the floor?
Has she ever been broody?

It appears to be her breast area rather than her abdomen... which is further back between her legs. I am wondering if it may be a breast blister. Have you examined it fully? Is the skin/tissue discoloured? Does it feel like an empty pouch or is there some fluid or tissue in it?
What type of roosts do you have and does she use them or sleep on the floor?
Has she ever been broody?

I just went out to see her and have a better look with my torch.

Skin is normal - pinkish white, still has some feathers. No tissue or fluid - just...skin. It's definitely like a broody patch! She doesn't seem to be uncomfortable when it's handled either (beyond usual chicken 'why are you doing that').

She hasn't been broody in months though, although we are going into autumn/fall soon so maybe connected to her moult? None of the other hens have it at all!

She sleeps on a roost, not ground. It's a piece of 2x4 wood so she sleeps fairly flat-footed on it - no curled toes or resting too hard on her keel that I can tell.

Here's some more photos. I tried to get one showing that it goes back towards her legs as well but....well, not a flattering or easy angle to get!

pepper05.jpg pepper06.jpg pepper07.jpg

Oh wow! Yes, I see how far back it goes! In the last photo it is pretty much making contact with the roost and they often settle down lower than that, especially in winter to keep feet warm. Wondering if it may have been a large breast blister that developed in winter and eventually burst/dispersed leaving the great pouch you now see in summer. Your roost looks smooth and immaculately clean though, so it's hard to believe that would be the cause or that you wouldn't notice if she had such a huge blister, but in winter we do tend to spend much less time observing our chickens so perhaps it escaped your notice.
I will be interested to read what others think may be the cause.

Oh wow! Yes, I see how far back it goes! In the last photo it is pretty much making contact with the roost and they often settle down lower than that, especially in winter to keep feet warm. Wondering if it may have been a large breast blister that developed in winter and eventually burst/dispersed leaving the great pouch you now see in summer. Your roost looks smooth and immaculately clean though, so it's hard to believe that would be the cause or that you wouldn't notice if she had such a huge blister, but in winter we do tend to spend much less time observing our chickens so perhaps it escaped your notice.
I will be interested to read what others think may be the cause.

We're in Australia so no winter until May-ish otherwise I'd definitely think it might have been from that time. I'd say it's appeared in the last week or so! It's quite strange. I wonder if it's hormonal or something even though she seems to still be laying.

She still sits on the roost completely too! She snuggles down like a normal hen and even sits around outside so it's like she doesn't even realize it's there. I'm just worried it'll get injured when she's foraging or running around!

Yes, I realise you are in summer now but was suggesting the breast blister may have occurred last winter and because it was covered in feathers you didn't notice. She is possibly now starting to moult and it is becoming obvious because the area is now exposed. She certainly looks happy and healthy in herself and I can't think of anything you can do to rectify it. Maybe just keep en eye on it for pin feathers coming through.

Yes, I realise you are in summer now but was suggesting the breast blister may have occurred last winter and because it was covered in feathers you didn't notice. She is possibly now starting to moult and it is becoming obvious because the area is now exposed. She certainly looks happy and healthy in herself and I can't think of anything you can do to rectify it. Maybe just keep en eye on it for pin feathers coming through.

Sorry my misunderstanding! You could be right. I was away last winter and only adopted the flock from my partners mother in spring so...it would make sense. Before I got them, they were roosting on an old fence which couldn't have been good for them either.

At least it doesn't seem to bother her. I hope the skin will reabsorb otherwise it looks like I'll be inventing some kind of hen bra! I don't want to risk her skin being damaged when the cold arrives:(

That makes it a lot more feasible that it is a breast blister. I did wonder how long you had owned her and could it have been a pre-existing condition. Feathers hide a multitude of sins.... wish I had some to hide my fat belly and bingo wings!!
There are such things as crop bras for chickens. Perhaps you could look at those and adapt the design, but she may regrow feathers over it after her approaching moult, so don't be to hasty to get the sewing machine out. I imagine it is probably quite pleasant for her to have a bare undercarriage in your summer heat!

Back
Top Bottom