Enlarged crop

Ourgosling22

Songster
Mar 20, 2022
Central texas
Hi everyone-when I think all is finally running smoothe for a little bit I find something else I may be overthinking.I have a duck that I keep looking back at about his chest so I looked it up and she may have an enlarged crop? I couldn’t find any answers on here and was wondering how do you know when something needs to be done? She seems fine and is eating drinking and basically seems normal and active to me. Any advice?

How old? drake?breed

When my Buffs[females] really pig out their crops actually look too large but by morning they are back to normal size. Can you post a picture?
They are about a year old and it’s a female I’m almost positive. Only have 1 drake and I don’t think it’s him. I thought I took a picture but will go try to do now.
I believe they are Pekins. I feed them when put them up in coop for the night so they aren’t fed when I let them out in the morning. I free range them and may scatter some feed to encourage them and get the hunger edge off, if that makes sense.

They are about a year old and it’s a female I’m almost positive. Only have 1 drake and I don’t think it’s him. I thought I took a picture but will go try to do now.
I believe they are Pekins. I feed them when put them up in coop for the night so they aren’t fed when I let them out in the morning. I free range them and may scatter some feed to encourage them and get the hunger edge off, if that makes sense.
She doesn’t seem uncomfortable but that may not mean anything.

Attachments

• 270B22BF-741E-4C6F-8EF6-916BCF599039.jpeg
    270B22BF-741E-4C6F-8EF6-916BCF599039.jpeg
    524 KB · Views: 4
She doesn’t seem uncomfortable but that may not mean anything.
My Buff can look just like this after she has pigged out. Are you sure they are getting enough food just feeding 1x a day? my ducks would probably think I was trying to kill them if I didn't keep feed out during the day for them and they forage on over half an acre. I know you have to be careful with Pekins and not let them get overweight though.

Ok we’ll that sounds hopeful!
I never really paid attention to their crop in the mornings when I let them out. Do I do a visual or do I feel it?
Do a visual AND a feel, if you can.

My ducks get fed when I let them out in the morning, then they forage all day, and then a 'snack' later in the day.

My Buff can look just like this after she has pigged out. Are you sure they are getting enough food just feeding 1x a day? my ducks would probably think I was trying to kill them if I didn't keep feed out during the day for them and they forage on over half an acre. I know you have to be careful with Pekins and not let them get overweight though.
Ok maybe I’m not feeding them enough. I’ll feed in the morning as well. I was trying to be careful not to overfeed. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom