Expired blu-kote.

quail 247

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 29, 2008
My neighbor had a raccoon scalp one of his chickens last night, it's just an open, bloody wound, I have blue-kote that i was going to give him so he can apply it to help stop infection, but it expired in feb. 2012, is it still okay to use?

Last edited:
I don't really know the answer to your question but I though I would say that I had some for awhile and I needed to use it and when I put it on the chicken it came about brown colored. I was thinking that it was too old and that's why it changed colors so I went and bought some more. It did dye the chickens feathers brown and faded to yellow before finally washing out but it never did bother her or cause problems. I don't think it was as affective in keeping the other chickens from noticing it as the blue color would but as you aren't having that problem it doesn't matter.

I've heard some pharmacy people say that many medicines don't really have and expiration date, they're just forced by the government to put that on all packages. I can't see how it can hurt anything if it's out of date. Try it and see. If it's brown well that wouldn't look good but it might still work.

Blue-Kote is fine to use, as you have seen or heard over time it will change color. I use Red-Kote and Blue-Kote together red first then the blue.
Red-Kote keeps scaring in check but make sure you over spray with Blue-Kote or you will have a target on your injured chicken.

Back
Top Bottom