Fable has dry pox. Vet says "Good luck have fun". What are my options?

SarahLadd

Crowing
6 Years
Jun 23, 2017
Minneapolis, MN
Title. I'm not sure what to do or if there is anything I can do. A few months ago I noticed Fable had white spots on her comb, but I didn't think anything of it, I figured it was probably stuck on yogurt or cheese or something because I tend to feed my birds anything from coleslaw to tater tots. Last week I noticed the spots were bigger and more numerous. I went to try to scrub this off and it did not come off. Then I tried picking it, and it came off, yes but it was sore and bleeding underneath. Definitely not yogurt!! Research says her symptoms match dry fowl pox. Her mouth looks healthy inside. She has just a few of these little white wart like growths on her comb right now.

I guess there is a vaccine for fowl pox. My other birds, according to my vet, are too old to receive it now. I have 3 other birds that are a year old, the rest were born this May, and are starting to lay their very first eggs right now.

Do I need to separate her and quarantine her? Does it matter, if she's been symptomatic for months? I see no spots on any other birds. I have a "hospital" I can keep her in, but she is a faverolles and I literally can imagine the wailing in my head right now and it is obnoxious before it's even started.........

The vet says that vaccinating for this is optional to most people. I had not heard of a vaccine for fowl pox before. I know that Mareks vaccine is common and expected. The internet says fowl pox is commonly transmitted through mosquito bite. I don't know how I could have prevented this. I'm covered in bites right now myself. For future benefit, is fowl pox something I should vaccinate any future chicks for? What other vaccines besides Mareks have I missed out of ignorance?

Thank you all.
20220822_085605.jpg
20220822_085341.jpg
20220822_085225.jpg

Last edited:
OMG she's gorgeous!!!

My chickens have the black spots, but not the white ones (yet...)
She is molting. You should have seen her when she had all her feathers. She is a wonderfully soft round ball of fluff. Her boule is exceptional but right now her neck and breast are thin. I'll be happy to see all my yearlings with their fresh new 'fits!

She is molting. You should have seen her when she had all her feathers. She is a wonderfully soft round ball of fluff. Her boule is exceptional but right now her neck and breast are thin. I'll be happy to see all my yearlings with their fresh new 'fits!
I love the poof!!!

I think that's half the reason I got chickens, so I could pet some soft birds. I wish mine were half as interested in being petted and cuddled as I am in doing those things!

Another thought I just had, is my rooster going to be at higher risk of transmission because he's tappin' that booty 4 times a day?
I'm laughing at your phrasing - lol!

If she has it, they have already been exposed. Dry pox is not a huge deal. My flock ALL had it. They got unsightly black spots on their combs and wattles that lasted a few weeks. I dabbed a little iodine on the larger spots to help them dry up, but it went away on it's own and no other symptoms showed up. Think of it like human chicken pox. It's annoying. Sometimes people have bad reactions, but rarely. The virus will hang around, but mine had it years ago and haven't had recurrence yet.

Back
Top Bottom