FREE chicken coop plan (nice one too) on the Purina Mills Website

I picked up a Purina brochure on chicken housing and care last time i bought feed. this plan was in there, right next to recomendations of 2-2.5 sq ft for standard size brown egg birds less for white egg layers so that is where they get the 8 hens will fit. It looks like a good coop and the plans are well laid out.

Last edited:
Quote:
Well I am ignoring that part. It's 4x4 which will be fine for my 4 hens. I was really looking for 4x6, but that's just so I could justify buying 2 more birds, lol.

I think it would be pretty easy to adust and expand and allow you to get those 2 more birds, or 4 or 6
wink.png

In the picture, it shows the 3 chickens facing 'front'; if they were all facing the other way, wouldn't they poop on the one below them? How do you make chickens face the way they 'should'?

Last edited:
FYI - There is a slight design flaw in these plans. Unfortunately I didnt catch it until I had nailed everything up tight. The roof framing calls for the second board in from the sides to have a inside measurement of 49". Well if I had paid close enough attention I would have known that if the outside measurement of the floor is 48" then that measurement would need to transfer up to the roof section. oops! I just cut the sheeting 48x48 and split the difference at the top. Nothing paint wont cover.

Quote:
Well I am ignoring that part. It's 4x4 which will be fine for my 4 hens. I was really looking for 4x6, but that's just so I could justify buying 2 more birds, lol.

Mine's 4x6 but it has a regular peak roof instead of a shed roof - on the 6' side, one entire side opens for cleaning and the other side has a 2'x3' window. the 4' sides have 3 nest boxes on one end and the pop door and a 1'x1' window/screen. I'm planning on 6 hens.

Pretty sure I have pics up on my page. If not, this weekend I'llk finally be done digging n the fencing for the run and take final pics.

According to the general consensus here, the coop should have 4sf/bird.
Going by that rule, this design could barely accommodate 2 birds.

I'm drawing up plans right now, and wow.
This is gonna be more like a guest house!

Back
Top Bottom