Gander Sitting on Eggs

plantcityhomestead

Songster
8 Years
May 14, 2011
Plant City, Hillsborough County, FL
Do I have an odd gander? This evening my gander went to the nest, sat on the eggs, and spent an hour cleaning up and rearranging the nest. He got out, but the goose did not go in. There was a garter snake under the dog house nesting box today when I went in to clean out the pen this morning. Could this have something to do with their behavior? This is the 2nd clutch of eggs (had to throw out the first batch), so I don't want to loose them.

Do I have an odd gander? This evening my gander went to the nest, sat on the eggs, and spent an hour cleaning up and rearranging the nest. He got out, but the goose did not go in. There was a garter snake under the dog house nesting box today when I went in to clean out the pen this morning. Could this have something to do with their behavior? This is the 2nd clutch of eggs (had to throw out the first batch), so I don't want to loose them.

I've not actually seen my gander sit on eggs but he does go into the house and rearrange the egg or cover it. I don't let them keep them since this is Muscovy duck and Embden gander. so i can't tell you what would make him do this but I'd think a garter snake would be taken care of preety easy by 2 geese without any problem.

Last edited:
I'm glad my gander isn't completely nuts. I've never seen a gander behave like this before. How is he going to defend the nest if he's on it. I guess that is my job.

Well you are head goose
wink.png
does he sit all the time or maybe just fill in when mother goose takes some time off? I have actually caught my gander just standing in their stall looking at the egg before. They are very tender hearted about goslings. I need to get mine a female goose..

A lot of ganders would set if the goose would allow it. The geese rarely come off the nest, so the gander doesn't get much of a chance.

Once the goslings are hatched, most ganders are super fathers.

A lot of ganders would set if the goose would allow it. The geese rarely come off the nest, so the gander doesn't get much of a chance.

Once the goslings are hatched, most ganders are super fathers.
My goose is the sweetest goose ever, but she was still in the only on the nest part time. Glad to hear the ganders are good dads. I wasn't sure how that was going to work. This is my first year with a breeding goose. I love your avatar goose. What a beauty.

Last edited:
Thank you. I'm very fond of that goose. Beside being a darling to get along with, she won Grand Champion Waterfowl at Redmond last year.

She's the one that got me started raising Pomeranian geese. I want more just like her.

You are in for a treat. You will really enjoy your goslings.

Thank you. I'm very fond of that goose. Beside being a darling to get along with, she won Grand Champion Waterfowl at Redmond last year.

She's the one that got me started raising Pomeranian geese. I want more just like her.

You are in for a treat. You will really enjoy your goslings.

She has me wanting a Pomeranian. Let me know if you sell eggs next year. I have my hands full building fencing and pens for the chickens and waterfowl I have now. I really want cotton patch, but boy are they expensive.

Cindy

Back
Top Bottom