German Shorthair with chickens and ducks

bayouflockboy

Hatching
Aug 27, 2016
I have a german shorthaired pointer but I also have chickens and ducks. Will this decrease his prey drive? If anybody has any experience with this it would help thanks!

Greetings from Kansas, bayouflockboy, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you aboard! I think hunting dogs can be socialized to poultry with out it decreasing their drive to hunt. I think it is just a matter of having patience and working with the dog to show the difference between what we raise is to be left alone...and what we hunt can be chased and caught. My avatar is my chocolate lab who completely ignores the many chickens, ducks, geese, and guineas running around the yard...but is still a trooper where retrieving a quail, wild duck, or dove I have shot is concerned - no drop in determination or confusion about what he's supposed to be doing. Here are some old BYC threads where dogs and chickens - and hunting dogs and chickens are discussed. https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=hunting+dogs+and+chickens
Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!

Hello and welcome to BYC. The search by redsox should help.

Good luck
CT

welcome-byc.gif

Until your dog is thoroughly trained, it would be best to keep him separated from the chickens.

Good luck to you and thanks for joining us!

Hello there, and my warmest welcome to the flock! I am quite pleased you decided to join us, please pull up a chair and make yourself at home here! I hope you enjoy it here as much as I have! :frow

~Cuz

Back
Top Bottom