HELP BABY CHICKS HAVE BROKEN LEGS

pinkbabyhall

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 26, 2012
Glen Rock, PA
TWO OF MY BABY CHICKS HAVE BROKEN LEGS. ONE HAS ONE BROKEN LEG. ANOTHER BOTH LEGS ARE BROKEN WHAT SHOULD I DO.
(THE BROWN ONE HAS TWO BROKEN LEGS AND THE GREY ONE HAS ONE)
(dont worry i was not hurting them)

Aww, poor little chicks! Those legs look swollen. I would separate them from the healthy chicks so they don't get trampled. If you don't have an extra heat lamp, maybe you can put some sort of carboard divider in your brooder to separate the groups. Just make sure they have food & water.

I'm sure someone more experienced than me will come along w/ some good advice. Good luck.

Recently had a couple chicks with leg problems. From your pictures I don't see spradle legs, but it does look similar to the ones I had with slipped Achilles tendons. Does the chick hold the leg up next to it's body and appear to not be able to straighten the leg? If so you might search this forum for advice on fixing slipped Achilles tendon.

I was not able to get the tendons on mine to stay in place after I popped them in, but it appears from posts on this Forum that some people are successful.

Lots of good info here. Scroll down to see section on slipped tendon.

https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

Last edited:
Remove both chicks from your brooder and separate so they are not being pecked at and run over. Give them sugar water/ food make sure they are eating if not try hand feeding and putting there peaks in the sugar water. They will need a heat lamp.

Then try to splint the leg as best you can you can use popsicle sticks or the bandaid method something that will stabilize the legs. Chicks are fast healers but you need to splint for at least 2 weeks and longer if needed. I would not return them to the rest till fully healed.

Now you need to go over your brooder, chicks don't just magically get broken legs. Is there something they are jumping off that is to high?, what are you using for the floor? Newspaper is terrible and very slippery. Make sure you have enough room at the feeder and that they aren't getting caught somewhere in the brooder.

Remember it takes time for them to heal, but if you can keep them warm, fed, watered then healing should be fast :)

I'm giving my baby chicken super water and some grains I kept it apart and put it in a box in my room with food I hope it gets better soon but do you have any suggestions cause there the smaller chickens

Walking on hocks in chicks can also pinpoint to a riboflavin deficiency. I would get a good poultry multivitamin containing riboflavin. First State Vet online has a variety of very good poultry multivitamins. They can be added to water. I would give this a try. Some defiencies can take three to four weeks before 100% improvement is seen. It does take patience but after a few weeks you should see some improvements.

Back
Top Bottom