HELP! gooped/closed eyes, gasping breath, not eating!

Chickie'sMoma

Songster
10 Years
Mar 21, 2009
Rochester, NH
here is my situation that i think may have contributed to all of this! this past thursday i got home from work to find my garage door open where my chicken coop is kept for the winter. not sure how it could have been opened since i was sure i closed it when i left for work that morning. nothing is/was missing from the garage so i don't think someone had entered to steal anything, believe it may have been popped open from the wind. we had a big storm hit our area the day before so lots of snow and cold in our area, been down to the single digits and teens lately. it still gets cold in the garage since i have not been trying to heat it but it still stays about 5-10 degrees warmer than outside temps.

1) What type of bird , age and weight. mostly bantams-favs, cochins, and lost my brahma last night and one of my young favs this morning and another fav on her way out!
2) What is the behavior, exactly. acting lethargic and not eating, staying away from others in flock, goopy eyes turning into stuck closed eyes, gasping for breath with a stench and appears swollen in the mouth with bumps! and then death
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? 2-3 days and then death
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? about half of flock
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. none
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. sudden temp changes and draft due to door getting pulled open
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. cracked corn, game bird crumbles, and just gave some plain yogurt and lettuce today to get them all eating. those not showing the symptoms seem to be eating fine while.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. i have seen some blood spots in poop with slightly runny but green poop. birds separated don't seem to have much poop and it is runny with just the white part.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? tylan mixed into water and mixed into yogurt.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? i need to treat myself since we have no chicken vet around and local vets don't treat birds or understand how to. i am planning on taking a corpse to our local University since they do the necropsy there and my birds are NPIP.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use. just did a partial change in pine shavings a week ago.

please help me! i am stuck here on this one!

also, there is sneezing and nasal discharge on most of them. if the goop isn't already coming out of they eyes.

Last edited:
please, i am really needing some help here!

it seems as if there is swelling of the head and sinus areas causing them to slowly suffocate. i have other medicines available if i should switch. i have the tylan injection but i opened the box and it doesn't have a syringe that i thought should have been with it.

http://www.amerpoultryassn.com/respiratory_disease.htm

google
the symptoms as well.. most chicken resp. disease/infections can be nasty. Any new additions to the flock? I have noticed with mine that at least two must have a chronic resp condition, croupy cough that shows up when cold and damp. Yours sound more acute. Would definately segregate the sickies.. wash down everything that was exposed to the sick ones ( shoes included).. I am still new at this so hopefully someone posts with more info.

I would go to the pharmacy and buy severeal 1cc ultrafine insulin syringe(short one) and start dosing with Tylan ASAP.
I would separate if possible, but it sounds like it has already spread pretty rapidly.
Definitely practice biosecurity religiously.
I would contact your State Vet Lab or Ag Department and get a necropsy done on one of the ones that passed.
I'm really sorry this is happening to you and your flock.
sad.png

crud, i think my fears have just been confirmed. i'm thinking it is croyza.
hit.gif
thank you for that link. seems to be easier to find and understand the symptoms in that than some of the others i have bookmarked.

my dh is running over to a friend's house that can give us some insulin needles to use. my dh's needles won't work on the syringe i have. i have been trying to raise the temp in the garage all day but tomorrow i will see about a better heater. i have been wanting to replace the furnace that is in there that never worked the entire time (3 years) we have owned this house. i really don't want to have all my birds in the basement trying to get them warm. i have been trying to get them all out of the house. i have 4 young ones still in the house and a broody on some eggs that isn't showing any signs of infection so i think this is stress related.

i did have a couple of marans hens that came into my flock a couple of months ago but they went through quarantine with no signs of anything and they were NPIP tested clean a month before i got them from the owner. those 2 girls actually look fine right now but i am keeping an eye open on everyone in the flock at this point!

That is what you need to do at this point-keep an eye on your other birds.
It'll be OK.
hugs.gif

If you want to treat your birds, just close your flock and practice good biosecurity so noone else's birds contract it.
Problem with a CRD type illness is they can slide through that 30 day quarantine period with no signs of illness-stress is what brings a bout of it on.
This isn't your fault at all-you did what needed to be done when you brought new birds in.
NPIP doesn't test for anything but Pullorum and Typhoid-no respiratory illnesses.

Chickie'sMoma :

my dh is running over to a friend's house that can give us some insulin needles to use. my dh's needles won't work on the syringe i have. i have been trying to raise the temp in the garage all day but tomorrow i will see about a better heater. i have been wanting to replace the furnace that is in there that never worked the entire time (3 years) we have owned this house. i really don't want to have all my birds in the basement trying to get them warm. i have been trying to get them all out of the house. i have 4 young ones still in the house and a broody on some eggs that isn't showing any signs of infection so i think this is stress related.

i did have a couple of marans hens that came into my flock a couple of months ago but they went through quarantine with no signs of anything and they were NPIP tested clean a month before i got them from the owner. those 2 girls actually look fine right now but i am keeping an eye open on everyone in the flock at this point!

I feel so badly for you. I lost a lot of birds over the last month or so, the symptoms mine had were the sneezing, then watery bubbles in the eye, not always both eyes, the appetites were not affected, but they were getting thin. Lastly, they were heaving so hard to breath. I did the vetrx in the eyes, mouth and antibiotics in the water. I posted here and got the best help. I was advised to give tylan injected into the breat, I did it more sub-Q than into the muscle because there was really no meat to inject. Well I tell ya, I saw a difference in just 24 hours. I gave the next shots 48 hours later and it seemed to take care of whatever it was, which according to doc brown of the on line vet supply, he said it was sinusitis. But my birds did not have the bad odor. I was sniffing them all the time because I was afraid of coryza. Good luck and you should see a change with the tylan injections. Oh, I also did Tylan nasal flushes which helped too as advised by doc brown.​

Back
Top Bottom