Help! My chicken has sour crop

Chickyducks

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2023
Hi.
My chicken hasn't seen very well yesterday and today found out that it might be sour crop.
We really want to get our chicken through this, any expert opinions????

Welcome To BYC

Is she pooping? What's that like?
How old is she and when was her last egg?

Does her crop feel full and puffy in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink?
I'd make sure she has access to food, water and grit. If her crop is sour, then begin addressing that symptom according to the article linked below.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Welcome To BYC

Does her crop feel full and puffy in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink?
I'd make sure she has access to food, water and grit. If her crop is sour, then begin addressing that symptom according to the article linked below.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Thank you very much!
It's a he. But as far as I can see not very much pooing... If he does then wet and sloppy. His crop is very puffy most of the time unless we hold his head down and stroke his crop bottom to top to make him sick. He has had a load to drink, yesterday, he drank for a good few minutes.
How do you tell if a crops sour?

Thank you again❤️

Welcome To BYC

Also, we have been making him sick the last 2 days, but there is a lot of it and it is bright green and stinks, is this a bad thing? And should I take him to the vet

Sounds like sour crop.

If vet care is an option for you, then it's usually a good idea.
What is the best way to cure sour crop. He is still not well after 3ish days and sits down most of he time. Tried to give him yogurt and apple cider vinegar but he barely eats it. Very thirsty though

What is the best way to cure sour crop. He is still not well after 3ish days and sits down most of he time. Tried to give him yogurt and apple cider vinegar but he barely eats it. Very thirsty though
👇 The article linked previously and again below is what I use to treat Sour Crop.
Photos of the bird and his poop would be good.
How old is he and what do you feed?

👇 The article linked previously and again below is what I use to treat Sour Crop.
Photos of the bird and his poop would be good.
How old is he and what do you feed?
He has no poo I'm afraid. I'll send photos of him. He is 3 years old and we feed him chicken food.

His crop is very puffy most of the time unless we hold his head down and stroke his crop bottom to top to make him sick.
I am not sure what you mean by making him sick, but it is important that anytime you are massaging crop, whether it is impacted, sour, etc that you massage from then top(throat) down toward the breast. Pushing the contents through the mouth can cause them to aspirate, amongst other things.

Back
Top Bottom