Help my chicken has worms in her feces what should I do?!

Ry27

In the Brooder
Mar 2, 2024
Hey y’all just one question I was holding my bird Oreo again and she has gotten better but then worse again she is still recovering. But anyways I saw some poop on her butt and it was dry so I started to pick it off with a paper towel, and after I picked off the first piece I saw two or 3 worms in her poop! So what can I do to get rid of them and make sure that my other chickens don’t have it and don’t get it. Also a little while later I checked all of my chickens and only one other with poop on his butt had it.

Last edited:
Update:: I took one of my birds and began taking a bunch of worms off about 8 then the other ones I didn’t see anymore I will check again tommorow

Please post a photo of the worms. However, I suspect you're dealing with maggots. It's called "Fly Strike."
I don’t have any photos as of right now because I threw the worms away and I tried cleaning both butts today and none came off but they were a clearish white with a dark line down the center

Also this is Oreo and this is how she is wanting to stand I have been dealing with this for about 2 months and we thought she had Merriks but I’m not sure anymore

Attachments

• IMG_2299.jpeg
    IMG_2299.jpeg
    488.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
If they are maggots, I would clean all chickens of any poop on vent areas, pick up droppings in your coop and run, and control flies which can cause flystrike. It happens mostly in warm weather, and the flies are opportunistic. Chickens can die of flystrike, since the maggot larvae laid by the flies, can eat into their skin an vents eventually killing them. Maggots will also occur if chickens break eggs inside a nest box or if the hens poop in the nests.

If they are maggots, I would clean all chickens of any poop on vent areas, pick up droppings in your coop and run, and control flies which can cause flystrike. It happens mostly in warm weather, and the flies are opportunistic. Chickens can die of flystrike, since the maggot larvae laid by the flies, can eat into their skin an vents eventually killing them. Maggots will also occur if chickens break eggs inside a nest box or if the hens poop in the nests.
Ok I will do that asap tysm

Back
Top Bottom