Help, newly hatched gosling shaking a lot

shellrae7

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 24, 2010
Pleasant Grove, UT
Hi there my newly hatched gosling is shaking and shivering. She's still in the bator, and I would think she'd be plenty warm. Do I need to do something or just leave her be? I am leaning towards getting something warm to wrap her in, but I am hesitant to open the incubator as she's only been out for 20 minutes tops. Please help! I don't want to lose her.

I often have ducklings that will shiver even while in the incubator. While they are still very wet they can still feel cold. It should stop as it starts to dry out- but if it doesnt- it could be a sign that the shaking is caused by something else. Especially if you have other eggs in the bator- give it a little more time - being outside the shell for the first time they arent kept warm by the shell and being folded up- and can take a little while while to warm up as well. If you ave a fan forced incubator- it shouldnt take too long to warm it up.

Congrats on the new baby BTW

Thank you for the reply. I made myself go back to bed, and left her be. About 4 hours later now she seems ok. I am venting the incubator now by cracking the lid, because the humidity is still so high, I don't see how she could ever fluff out. Also how long before a Gosling should be walking around. She is strong and holding her head up, and TRYING to move about, but the legs seem quite floppy still.

Thanks again!

shellrae if you'll goes down aways from this thread to the goose thread you'll get alot more advise about goslings.. I have a goose but he was hatched by a duck so she pretty much took care of him so I don't know how long it took him to get his legs under him..

I know that this was yeaaarrrrs ago but can you recall how that gosling went? I have a similar problem with my just-hatched duckling.

I know that this was yeaaarrrrs ago but can you recall how that gosling went? I have a similar problem with my just-hatched duckling.
I would always try electrolytes with vitamins, such as Poultry Cell or NutriDrench or a product similar in your location. Trying to get it drinking water may also help when there is a weak new hatchling.

Back
Top Bottom