help please

Chl008

Hatching
Aug 5, 2020
So i have a 5 month old button quail, unsure of the sex but up until this point i always thought it was a male. Yesterday i noticed him/her fluffed up in the aviary so bought it in overnight. It had a small lump towards the back of the vent, so i thought it was egg bound. Put it on a heat pad overnight. It's vent still doesn't look right, kinda swollen. It is having balancing issues and stumbled a couple of steps when i put it down. Also, when i picked it up i noticed that it felt quite stiff, when i try to move the legs they aren't as malleable as i would expect and it's overall body feels quite hard. i haven't noticed any droppings from last night either, just a little bit of white diarrhea sticking to the vent. Is this possible coccidiosis or egg binding?

I have just checked on Darth and when ever i try and make him/her walk they fall to the side. i have put some calcium supplement in the water along with a few more vitamins from this potent brew stuff and have started dropping it at the side of his/hers mouth. Darth hasn't eaten for around 24hou
darth 2.JPG
rs now so any advice on how to make him/her eat?
darth.JPG

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC. Sorry that I am not familiar with quail, only chickens. Could she be constipated and have a blockage in the vent? I would give some Pouktry NutriDrench or electrolytes orally with a dropper. I would also post on the quail forum here—click on the green box to start a new thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/quail.48/

Back
Top Bottom