HELP!!! Silkie chick stuck in egg for 72+ hours but still alive

bayareachicken

Hatching
Dec 27, 2019
Hi.

I have been incubating eggs. 14 fertile eggs were expected for hatching. So far, it has been 6 days since the first chick hatched. 7 of the 14 eggs hatched over a 4 day period. On the second or third day this particular egg pipped. Then I noticed the membrane turning a greenish brownish black color and it started to smell. I then transported the rest of my pipping eggs and freshly hatched chick from that incubator into a different one; leaving that egg alone. I managed the humidity, but the chick never seemed to hatch. It was chirping for a while, but now it is just breathing. It has been over three days since it initially pipped. What do I do? It oozed some greenish liquid, but the chick is breathing. It smells awful. HELPPPPP please!!!

Hi.

I have been incubating eggs. 14 fertile eggs were expected for hatching. So far, it has been 6 days since the first chick hatched. 7 of the 14 eggs hatched over a 4 day period. On the second or third day this particular egg pipped. Then I noticed the membrane turning a greenish brownish black color and it started to smell. I then transported the rest of my pipping eggs and freshly hatched chick from that incubator into a different one; leaving that egg alone. I managed the humidity, but the chick never seemed to hatch. It was chirping for a while, but now it is just breathing. It has been over three days since it initially pipped. What do I do? It oozed some greenish liquid, but the chick is breathing. It smells awful. HELPPPPP please!!!
I had a chick hatch that had runny green liquid all over it, and it spread it around the incu. It hatched on it's own. But it eventually did die. I think it was some kind of bacterial infection.

This is my thread on that chick. (I used to be Laodicia)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...een-liquid-help-please.1225780/#post-19651002

I really doubt it'll survive, but if you want to try to save it, you could try assisting, and see how bad it is.

Here is a guide for assisting.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching.64660/

Attached is a photo of the egg. It seems sick, but it is moving. I do not know how it has lived this long. I tried assisting the egg and have read all about it, but the shell has been too tough to break pieces off of. Should I cull the chicken??

Attachments

• IMG_0667.jpg
    IMG_0667.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 23
Attached is a photo of the egg. It seems sick, but it is moving. I do not know how it has lived this long. I tried assisting the egg and have read all about it, but the shell has been too tough to break pieces off of. Should I cull the chicken??
I would start pulling peices off the shell. If it's hard wet the shell a bit with warm water obviously not near its face.

No shell is too tuff for a human to break. Go slowly and take small pieces off.

It's up to you. With how dry the down is that's out side the shell, I can tell the chick is good and glued in there. It'll be really hard to get it out. use warm water on a q-tip to moisten the membrane as much as you can, you'll still be pulling fluff out with the shell though.

Personally, I would cull this one. But that's based on my goals for my flock. There is a small chance it could survive, if you're looking for as many viable chicks as possible, you may still want to try.

Back
Top Bottom