How early do you let your chickens out?

AntiqueB

Free Ranging
Aug 27, 2020
Bergen County, NJ
I leave for work very early, and have been opening the pop door for the girls as I leave. These days, they're still snoozing, and don't even come out when their door opens; sunrise is about a half hour to 45 minutes away. The coop opens directly into my backyard (I'm in a suburban area, with 50'x100' lots). I know raccoons, foxes, possums, coyotes, and skunks also live in the area. My question is, are nighttime predators still skulking about just before dawn, or do you think my girls will be ok? What time do you open your coops/let your chickens out to free range?

The only animal you mentioned that we have over here is foxes and they can possibly still be out at that time, with that being said we have had periods where we lock up the chooks at night and open around 4-6 in the morning, often when the rooster crows, but also times where we leave it open 24/7 and they sort themselves out. IV left the coop open 24/7 for months with no issues. I think what Ur doing is fine and the best you can do with your work situation.

My chickens exclusively free range. I don't usually let them out till 9:00 or so, mostly because that's the time it ends up being after getting the kids ready for the day and breakfast done with.
When I was having problems with predators getting my guineas, I didn't let them out until noon or so. That helped.

The coyotes here are definitely around after dawn. If I'm working in the yard early I see them.
That's why I have a 30 mile fence charger pushing joules down just over a mile (total) of fencing (3 hot wires x 3/8th mile). It stops me. It stops a goat. It appears to have stopped a feral hog. I'm not concerned about the coyote ignoring it.

I also have electric wires around my coops and pens and I leave my pop doors open 24/7/365. I have large pens. Nothing has gotten past my hot wires. I have seen some spots where a predator has attempted to dig under the fence but once it comes in contact with the hot wires it abruptly stopped. My fence charger is a 50 mile charger and it puts out over 10,000 volts. If the wires are touched it will hurt but that is the idea. I want anything that touches the wires to hurt so they won't try again. When you let your birds out to "free range" that is the risk you take. Good luck...

Back
Top Bottom