How many eggs do Dominique chickens lay?

I get 6-7 a week from each of my girls. Mine are still pullets, but their eggs are a large medium. They are a light brown with no shine to them.

I was initially going to say "all of them" when there were no replies but decided to wait till you got a real answer. heh.

It probably depends on the particular chicken. A hatchery bird is probably going to lay more eggs than a show quality chicken because hatcheries breed for production and not to the standard, and different lines from different breeders will be better/worse layers than others. I have two Dominique hens and their eggs look exactly like the eggs laid by my Wyandotte and Black Sexlink so I'm not sure exactly how many they lay, but mine lay medium sized light brown eggs. I don't know if they're from a hatchery or a breeder because I got them from someone and forgot to ask.

I have one dom and I get 5-6 eggs a week from her, so almost every day, She takes one day off a week give or take. Nice med light brown eggs. My dom is a hatchery bird.

Last edited:
I purchased 7 "barred rock" pullets in February. Turns out one is a barred rock and 6 are dominiqes. They started laying at about 4 1/2 months. The eggs are so small they are just under the standard weight for small eggs. They have been laying for two months and there has been no change in the size of the eggs. I do get double yolk eggs every so often. I get an average of 5 eggs per day from the BR and Doms, one has been broody so that means almost everyone is laying almost every day. My girls were purchased from a hatchery. Any guesses as to when egg size might increase? They are fed Purina Layena and I just added in calf mana for more protein. It has been so hot here that I have been adding in vitamins and electrolites to their water. I haved a total of 12 hens and a roo in a 20 x 40 enclosure most of the day and out on free pasture 1 -2 hours in the evening.

I get about 6-9 from my 12 dominique hens.

They lay excellent in the winter as well!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom