How to get ducks to go into coop at night?

Something sturdy, that they can be closed into, with good ventilation - half inch metal hardware cloth over all openings - and in cold weather, something well insulated with plenty of room for extra extra bedding. I kept a thermometer in the outdoor duck house and that's how I knew that the ducks were not thriving below 35F - so I moved their night pen into the walkout basement where it stays above 40F, and they do quite well. Not all ducks need this - each flock is unique - I have a number of ducks that don't do well below freezing, so everyone stays in a fairly mild shelter at night.

our ducks are now 6 months old. (they free range during the day with the chickens)- We hung a low 40 watt light at the opening of their run (with a timer so that it comes on at dusk and goes off 2 hrs later). They put their self to bed each night-their duck house is 10 feet away from the opening of the run. We go down and lock up the run after the light goes out.

So my ducks have expressed interest in going in the chicken coop (on their own time of course) the hen even makes a daily trek inside into the nesting area to lay her egg with all the chicken eggs. But wouldnt you know at night, if I try to herd them into the coop they just run in circles like theyve never been inside!

I thought I had the only ducks that didn't want to go in at night!!

We got ours as ducklings the middle of April and they have a 40X40 area that is hardware clothed (even the top) so I know it is pretty predator proof. (even has about 4 inches of concrete that the cloth goes into at the bottom.)

They move as a brown blob through out the enclosure. They have a private "duck only" pond within the enclosure, however, at night we have to heard them in. I thought they would "learn" to go into the duck coop by themselves (once we started showing them).

We thought since we have had them since ducklings they would be a little more social with us. We are working on that. They prefer themselves instead of their duck daddy and mommy. (like the idea of blanket and snacks for them)

Coop has four high windows with hardware cloth so I know the ventilation isn't the issue. They are very skittish. I was wondering about a light to get them in and then turn it off once they are in.

Thoughts?

Einz was terrified of the dark her first four years. I kept a night light on. Not bright at all, just something.

I use peas to entice the ducks in if they are ever reluctant to go in at night. Usually I do not need to, but sometimes especially if I need them to go in quickly or early, it helps to have a bribe.

Ducks have strong instinct that drives them into their hideout when it's time. I've had one duckling from an egg I incubated and I started bringing him outside daily at one point. He got big enough to be able to see through the box he was in. In a week or so, I figured out he tried to go back inside when sun started going down. The little feathery thing remembered the path we were taking and almost managed to go to the door!
After that I introduced him to the duck house I've made and a few other ducks. It didn't take long before they all used that house by themselves, I only come and close the doors for them. If I don't the largest male (the one I incubated is their chief) comes out every time they hear a sound or movement. He comes out, looks left and right, circle around in front of the house and go back in. Funny thing to watch. Guard duty. :)

PS: I have introduced 3 ducks when they were already 8 weeks old or so. They only needed 1 day to accept the duck house! The drakes I had at that time were still snapping at them, but they got quiet and friendly when they were inside. Lucky for me, they all picked the large male as their leader. Even if I introduced larger number of ducks.

I have 4 10 month old Buff Orpington ducks, 2 males, 2 females. Until the weather warmed up they went to bed with the chickens in the coop every night just after dark on their own. The last 2 nights they refuse to go in. I do have a fenced enclosure for them but I'm afraid of something digging under the fence if I leave them outside. I have tried coaxing them with mealworms which they will eat out of my hand during the day but at night they want nothing to do with me, the worms or the house. Last night I hardly slept because I kept going outside hoping they would go in the house. I was so afraid they would be dead when I went out this morning but they were fine. I hate to take the chance again but they just waddle away from me when I go out there. A flash light doesn't work either. I don't know what has gotten into them because they have always just put themselves to bed. Any other suggestions for me to try? Please.

Chickens picking on them?

Herding works really well for ducks walk slowly behind using your arms wide open guiding them or 2 long poles show them what you want and eventually they will learn ducks like repetition and you'll soon have them going inside. Your right leaving them out can be very risky. Plus make sure they aren't being bullied by the chickens too.

I need some advise. I have 9 rouen ducks that r going thru their first winter in upstate NY. We have built on to their coop to protect them from the snow. Now they won't go in it. They either sleep in their big pool or sleep under an old rabbit hutch that we put the bales of hay into. I put their feed and a poultry water jug in the new coop. I finally see they pop in to eat and run out to drink out of their kiddie pool. Woke up this morning and it was 10 degrees outside. They all were sleeping under the hay holder again. In getting nervous because the snow is coming and I'm scared they won't be smart enough to go in it. There is tons of straw in the coops. One does nest and I see eggs every day in the nest. Will they finally go in it if it gets too cold or am I gonna have to force them into it? I'm hoping they go in by themselves. If anyone can help me with this I wud greatly appreciate it.

Have you ever tried herding them in? Ducks herd well once they realize what you want. Walk slowly behind them with your arms open to guide them or use long poles. It usually doesn’t take long to train them.

Back
Top Bottom